Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caste Question  (Read 627 times)

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caste Question
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:52:49 am »

Can anyone help me mod my dwarves?  I want to throw in a few castes that give dwarves a small percent chance to be stronger than average, faster than average (speed:whatever), or a mutant, (Strong, fast, no+pain and a few other tags).  With the mutants being a very small percent and sterile.  Anyone know how I would go about doing this?  Last time I tried they all ended up as "It"s.  I fixed that (a really difficult way, by making 2 castes, one per gender), and then every time I got a special one, it would die of dehydration even with a well marked as water source AND enough booze to feed 10 angry bears.
Thanks.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caste Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:17:50 am »

You'll need to show us your entry to give us enough to look at for debugging work. People usually copy and paste it between some spoiler tags to keep the thread short for people that don't like scrolling.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There you go.  It's what I have so far, but, it seems to be inelegant, and, well, the whole non-drinking thing as well.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:38:20 pm »

Including [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags make a caste that gender, ie, your mutants will be able to have kids.  If you want them to be sterile, you'll have to live with "It" being the pronoun used.

Not at all sure why they died of dehydration.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:38 pm »

Did you remove the attribute ranges from under the general dwarf definitions before placing them under the Chaste definitions?
!!&!!

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »

@D_E Yeah, I know, that was my old version. =P  Hadn't had a chance to fiddle some more.

@Ampersand - No, will that change anything?  I thought that if it was in a second time it would re-define.

Edit: Yup, again, a mutant died of thirst when everyone else is fine and full of booze.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:45:02 pm by jayseesee »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:19:38 pm »

You could save those all to another file and try making a bunch of copies of the normal dwarf type except with one stat type overwritten by mutant values. With equal probabilities you should be able to see if any of them refuse to drink till they die within a couple of embarks.

Also: no need for doubling up the genders for the test. Just have one really patient caste and one really analytical one.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.