Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of the Arsenal Dwarf?  (Read 716 times)

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of the Arsenal Dwarf?
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:31 am »

Ok, so the Arsenal Dwarf is a total pain in the ass that only serves to keep my military from ever getting their proper equipment. So would the position just become unnecessary if I modded it out? Would my dwarves go and pick out their equipment on their own like they do when a fort starts, or would they never get anything because they NEED someone to say "Yes, it's OK to get a quiver"?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Getting rid of the Arsenal Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:57:59 am »

Yes, it should work. My current Fortress doesn't have its Aresenal Dwarf yet and everyone still gets his proper equipment.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:07:17 am »

My guys never go and pick up their stuff! It's so irritating!

I've also noticed that none of my guys go and take what's in their uniform list, they only take it if I tell them to take it specifically.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:25 am »

This is a great mod idea.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:27 pm »

I tested it out and it seemed to work fine. I eliminated the Arsenal Dwarf from the raws, genned a new world, and ran a bare-bones fort until I got 20+ pop. Then I put one dwarf into the military and assigned him weapons and he went and picked them up.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »

I recently realised my Arsenal Dwarf was the one responsible for my military dwarves not using the assigned equipment. I hope removing him works properly.

Does anyone know if this is just an issue with low skilled Arsenal Dwarves or a proper bug with having an Arsenal Dwarf at all?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:46 pm »

As far as I can figure it's a mixture of "low skilled Arsenal Dwarf" and "working as intended."

If you have an AD with low skill, it takes him forever to approve equipment changes, so your military will only slowly change equipment. It also APPEARS that he must approve each and every equipment swap for individual dwarves. So if you have 20 dwarves in your military, and you produce a new batch of Steel armor, then the AD will have to approve each change of equipment. I can't yet tell if this means he has to OK every single piece or if he does all the equipment for a dwarf at once.

Either way it's annoyingly slow. I had a Legendary Organizer doing the job and it was still taking forever to get my dwarves to pick up their equipment.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:59:42 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I like the grizzled armory sergeant checking off every piece of hardware in a ledger to recruits saying, "And I don't want a SPECK of rust on that thing when you turn it back in next year!". Its very true to life.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.