Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethnicity  (Read 563 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ethnicity
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »

So, as evidenced by the threads about breeding cattle for more meat, Dwarf Fortress now has genetics (and eugenics programs in the playerbase's fortresses :p ).
So, how long do you think it'll be before different civs within the same species get distinct features?

Like, the goblins of the temperate conifer-covered northern mountains tend more towards emerald skin and red hair, gangly builds and excellent colour vision, whilst the goblins of the scorching black desert ranges are ash gray with blue or purple hair, very squat, enduring and with large ears?

Of course with goblins it would probably depend more on the spheres of their demon leaders than their environment, but you get the gist.
IIRC, we already have it when it comes to clothing and fashion.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Ethnicity
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:57 pm »

If i fallowing it correctly, demons are not supposed to lead goblins only if they figth they way on the top (so it shouldn't be the selecting argument about subspecis), but the way i would relly like is that northen (tundra-glacier) goblins/humans/dwarfs/elves would be thicker and hairier because of the fact that the smaller ones died sooner from cold and had less childrens ... (you know this natural selection thing) and if a demon is responsible for a change in the ethnics of a race it should be more logical too, as killing all the small one (he don't like them for example) so the race gettin' bigger and bigger ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:23:58 pm »

Every update, DF comes closer and closer to fascism. I for one cannot wait.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »

H̎eil Urist!

Edit: I just saw an ad for a 'Springtime For Hitler' Ringtone!?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:28:21 pm by Leotto »