Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World-Map Roads  (Read 715 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
World-Map Roads
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

As part of the Armies Arc, civs need to be able to build roads. This will be especially important once armies are in because while an adventurer can travel through thick jungle at a regular speed, to an army that terrain would be practically impassable. The same is true of anything larger than a brook, swamps, or even a few miles of soft, sandy desert.
While Dwarf mode armies (and trade caravans, and migrant parties) would be the main beneficiaries of roads, Adventurers moving along a road could at very least have a reduced chance of being randomly attacked... by animals. That is assuming, of course, that that civ is wealthy and strong enough to defend it's roads.
Other benefits of road systems include that it provides another way for the player to interact with the game. I do not know how the player would direct the building of roads, but please add a way to do so other than normal Fortress mode, otherwise players would end up with worlds criss-crossed with abandoned 'fortresses', and heroes would run into parties of feral dwarves every few miles along the path.
A final note, for civ-built and player-built roads, there should be some automatic traffic designation so that NPCs feel like walking on the nice, smooth road.
'I'm PTTG?? and I support this suggestion'
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World-Map Roads
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:29:00 am »

Roads are nice.  I wouldn't mind an Appian Way done up dwarf style.  Plus, with highways you'd get highwaymen, and perhaps "Brigand Fortress" set up along some nice trade route would be more of an option.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

And make goblins build their roads with skulls.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

Or bones, at least. I doubt they'd be so picky.

Hrm, can we use bones for construction? Might be interesting to add...

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

you can use soap to build things.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 08:00:00 am »

just pray that it won't rain when you cross the soapbridge over the chasm.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>just pray that it won't rain when you cross the soapbridge over the chasm.</STRONG>

Hey, I built a bridge out of talc!  It lasted forever.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

Good Ideas so far; especially materials. Perhaps roads close to Cities or Dark Towers or Mountain Halls or Retrats have different materials compared to outlying roads, same thing with heavily-traveled roads. Humans' best roads would probably be cobblestone or cut stone, then raw stone, then dirt. Dwarves might use fine metal blocks for the best roads, then bars, blocks, and rocks, but they might not even bother making major roads and only using dirt. Elves, on the other hand, would not use rocks, probably not trees, and don't even have metal at all. But, they live in the deep forests and jungles, so any road at all would be an improvement. As for Goblins, despite the charming ambiance, skulls don't work to well on wheels. They probably would use either raw stone or just dirt. But they could surround the roads with corpses to their little black heart's content!

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Along with this, there should also be a way to request a road built from a nearby town to, say, the middle of a mountain range, allowing you to embark in some interesting places. Just make it so they don't build particularly fast or right away so you have to adventure or build a fortress in the meantime.

Bonus points if it takes ten game years to build a road just so you can embark on a mountain that has no/very boring Hidden Fun Stuff.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

I don't believe elves would even use roads, as they require tree clearing.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

Elves would not make roads, it only makes the forest easier to invade. However for the purposes of trade they would at least mark paths, and probably patrol them as well.

Also, roads can be made out of non-lasting materials like talc or bones, it just depends on how often they are upgraded and "maintained".

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

Goblin siegers work for the Department of Transportation.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

As soon as building with bones is in, i'm going to create a dwarven version of the Path of Conquest from wow, complete with attached Hellfire Citadel.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Goblin siegers work for the Department of Transportation.</STRONG>

"As you are no doubt aware, the plans for the development of this section of the mountain range include a bypass through this mountain and, regrettably, your fortress is one of those scheduled for demolition."

"...What do you mean you've never been to Ralurvad Ibruk?! Oh for heaven's sake dwarf, it's only four region tiles away you know. I'm sorry but if you can't manage to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout. Ready the trolls! I don't know, apathetic bloody fortress, I've no sympathy at all."

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.