Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom reaction: making vermin  (Read 1394 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom reaction: making vermin
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »

I have managed to create vermin, but I'm stumbling on producing them caged.  Under the current code, my dwarves will use buckets instead of animal traps.  The vermin ends up in the bucket, but I don't know how to get it out.  How should I change this so it uses its animal trap?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Custom reaction: making vermin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:06 pm »

Perhaps try cage instead of animal trap?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:11:56 am »

can vermin be stored in normal cages?  I hadn't realized that.

Just tested this.  They go into the cages, and if you build them and remove them using a lever, the vermin are properly released.  Now just to check if you can milk vermin from these cages...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:36:04 am by Zantan »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:06 am »

Is it still necessary to put the vermin to be produced in the first 15 raw entries?

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

No.  I changed it to make cave spiders, and moved cave spiders to the end of the creature_subterranean, and it still worked.

Next step is making vermin that can be killed for their shells.  The final goal is to create the following production line:

Large roach + brimstone + fire imp fat --> demon roach, which produces shells on death.

Demon roach + blood + milk + brains --> demon roach queen, which can be milked for demon roach eggs.

At magma powered incubator: demon roach eggs + meat + blood --> demon roach

If I can get that down, I'm going to try for a more dwarfy line of agriculture/animal husbandry...

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:31:51 am »

Do Fire Imp parts still spontaneously catch on fire/smoke if they're with other items and rot? This is just an aside that bothered me in one of my last games, pre 31.01, when my food stockpile, which was just off the entrance to the fort, spontaneously lit on fire after I butchered some fire imp parts, but never did anything with them, which lead to the death of the fortress due to smoke inhalation, inability to reach food... And some dwarf lighting himself on fire getting food (?) which then lead to the entire map burning down. Heh.

Good luck on that cycle. Though, you could always try less difficult items for the reactions until you get it down. Or just taking out the whole line of extra stuff until you get it all figured out.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

I tried adding [ITEMCORPSE:VERMIN:NO_SUBTYPE:MAGGOT_PURRING:MAGGOT_PURRING]
to the purring maggot raws in order to make them unkillable, it didn't work.  It had the icon for vermin remains, and was called purring maggot, but it was not a living thing.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:09:11 pm »

If I can get that down, I'm going to try for a more dwarfy line of agriculture/animal husbandry...

Oh nice. Maybe a "incubator" workshop that has to be fed rare minerals, or a creature/non-farmable plant from the lower levels. Anything that encourages the player to have to go out and work for their supper is a good thing, I think.

to the purring maggot raws in order to make them unkillable, it didn't work.  It had the icon for vermin remains, and was called purring maggot, but it was not a living thing.
Ain't that a bitch. I wanted to make relentless locusts. Unless, and I know this is a shot in the dark, they require [NOSMELLYROT] to correctly drop an item?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:17:25 pm »

Oh nice. Maybe a "incubator" workshop that has to be fed rare minerals, or a creature/non-farmable plant from the lower levels. Anything that encourages the player to have to go out and work for their supper is a good thing, I think.

Ain't that a bitch. I wanted to make relentless locusts. Unless, and I know this is a shot in the dark, they require [NOSMELLYROT] to correctly drop an item?

This is making me think of a magma powered incubator and dragon eggs as a CLUSTER_ONE inorganic that occurs in, say, obsidian.  I think I might mod that in my next fort  ;D

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »

Heh. Unless you want to hatch your dragons as vermin, you're best off frying that egg. Unless you make the incubator a "Holding facility" for the dragon. Have to use your imagination a bit, but I guess that's true of everything in the game.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »

First we have to figure out if/how to produce large creatures in custom reactions.  So far it's just confirmed for vermin.

I just managed to make vermin out of brains using:
[REAGENT:A:1:FOOD:NONE:ORGANIC:BRAIN]

I am, however, unable to create a non-fish vermin which can be harvested for shells.  Any suggestions?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »

Heh. Unless you want to hatch your dragons as vermin, you're best off frying that egg. Unless you make the incubator a "Holding facility" for the dragon. Have to use your imagination a bit, but I guess that's true of everything in the game.

Ahh, you can only get vermin to come out of reactions?  Bah.  Hmm, maybe make it a pseudodragon instead  ;D  Or, make them vermin, then after hatching one, remove vermin tag in raws.   ;D

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »

I am, however, unable to create a non-fish vermin which can be harvested for shells.  Any suggestions?

Well, turtle and cave lobster shells are left behind when they're eaten uncooked (but prepared at a fishery). Perhaps if they're only able to leave shells after being cleaned that way, only fish can leave them? Otherwise just let a dwarf eat them and leave the shell.

Ahh, you can only get vermin to come out of reactions?  Bah.  Hmm, maybe make it a pseudodragon instead  ;D  Or, make them vermin, then after hatching one, remove vermin tag in raws.   ;D

Back up your save first. That smells like crash to me. Actually, you should probably just stick with the vermin dragon. It'd be hilarious for the player to dig out a half-tonne dragon egg, and be rewarded with a firey guardian that's the size of a sparrow.
On a related note, you might be able to make some fun Facehugger eggs, if you get creative with the vermin's syndrome.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »

Ahh, you can only get vermin to come out of reactions?  Bah.  Hmm, maybe make it a pseudodragon instead  ;D  Or, make them vermin, then after hatching one, remove vermin tag in raws.   ;D

Actually, you should probably just stick with the vermin dragon. It'd be hilarious for the player to dig out a half-tonne dragon egg, and be rewarded with a firey guardian that's the size of a sparrow.

When I was making my megabeast animal generator for 40d, there were times early on when I would be making vermin megabeasts...they appeared in legends with kills and everything, but I never got to see one in person...