Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alternate Sources of Ash  (Read 1423 times)

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Sources of Ash
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tallim:
<STRONG>Actually with the new ocean thing and such a new potential is available as potassium Carbonate is (in our world) usually manufactured or mined from the sea bed or lake beds if I remember correctly. But that is a modern era thing.

In older times then broadleafed trees were used to create potash, so DF has it pretty much spot on. Be thankful that *any* type of wood can be used for potash and not just a select few.</STRONG>

I believe natron should be the only suitable alkali for either sand or quartz, and potash the appropriate one for the other.  Which is which I do not recall but I remember that clear glass is clarified with minerals (magnesium?), not alkalis. So really all the glass should need potash or natron or something along those lines and a clear glass should need those+the right mineral.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Firemen and Magmamen leave ashes when you kill them. Perhaps you could trap them in steel cages, tame them, and breed them!
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

I noticed that the ranged fire attack of the firemen (or was it fire imp?) leaves some ash that can be used. Of course setting up a proper "harvesting" chamber is problematic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

i dont see why you cant use cremated bodies to make glass.

after all, you can make diamonds out of your grandmother:
http://www.lifegem.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Action:
<STRONG>I noticed that the ranged fire attack of the firemen (or was it fire imp?) leaves some ash that can be used. Of course setting up a proper "harvesting" chamber is problematic.</STRONG>

nah, it would be like that gladatorial arena thats in the other forum thread.  you'd just have to have a cage by the lever-openable-exit, to re-cage your survivors.  this would totally work, just not in very high quantity.

[ August 06, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>nah, it would be like that gladatorial arena thats in the other forum thread.  you'd just have to have a cage by the lever-openable-exit, to re-cage your survivors.  this would totally work, just not in very high quantity.</STRONG>

Now what would be fantastic is if you could get fire imps to fight one another in said arena.  I'd imagine their fire attacks would do little to no damage to each other, so all you'd need to do is leave them be for a while, then send your goons in to kill them and harvest the resulting ash.  I can see the lines of cage traps adorning the magma now.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

If you can only get the heat up to begin with, you could use the crematory as a heat source. Problem is... for what? Would it burn hot enough to smelt ores?

It could be used for central heating, and piping warm water to baths. Ahh, imagine the warrior dwarves bathing in hot water, heated by the burning carcasses of their  slain foes!

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by KrunkSplein:
<STRONG>

Now what would be fantastic is if you could get fire imps to fight one another in said arena.  I'd imagine their fire attacks would do little to no damage to each other, so all you'd need to do is leave them be for a while, then send your goons in to kill them and harvest the resulting ash.  I can see the lines of cage traps adorning the magma now.</STRONG>

Better yet...  use the Z axis.  Trap two fire imps opposite each other in little rooms, with fortifications to let them shoot out at each other.  Have a shallow 'chasm' they can't see into between them. Most of their shots will fail to get through the other's fortifications, and will turn to ash that falls into the chasm, where your dwarves collect it.

Presto!  Infinite ash factory, with no maintenance required.

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 05:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by KrunkSplein:
<STRONG>
My question is this - can't we burn other things for the ash?  Charcoal I understand as wood-only, but ash?  I'm thinking, I sure do have a lot of goblin corpses piled up in my refuse pile...
</STRONG>

Bodies? Perhaps. I think plant matter should be an alternative. The most common type of glass (in reality) is called soda-lime glass and can be made with sand, lime and sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate can come from plant ashes or natural deposits.

Lime can be made from limestone or seashells and for glass, pulverised limestone, chalk or seashells would also work.

Lye can also be made from plant ash.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

Fertilizer for farms, anyone?  :D
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]