Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trial by Fire in the Arena (A Dwarf Story)  (Read 1321 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Trial by Fire in the Arena (A Dwarf Story)
« on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »

Dwarf 13: that was his designation.  He could not remember if he ever had a proper name; but in the arena names mattered not.  His two bronze eyes were all that could be seen through the slits in his sterling silver war-mask.  His beard had been reduced to stubble through many old battles, the evidence of which lay clear to see on his throat.  Among the old wounds was a massive curving scar, where a frenzied Tigerman had once ripped open his larynx.  He sat out the following battle while untreated wound healed shut.  He looked back at Dwarf 10, the only other remaining dwarf of the first draft and as experienced as he was, if not more.  He gave him a toothy grimace and made a gesture towards the gate that would have been obscene but for the fact that he was missing the most important digit.  He glanced at the Twins, Dwarves 53 and 54, but he was unable to determine whether the look on their faces was excitement or apprehension.  They were relatively young; he considered them extremely lucky to have lasted so long.  His tattered and blood-stained cloak flew back in a blast of hot air as the door opened to their next challenge.  He tightened his grip and gritted his teeth.  A deep red glow in the open portal before them grew until the outlines of their enemy could be made out.  They took the shape of men, but appeared to be made of liquid fire.  Bellowing a war cry, he charged in, his comrades swiftly following behind him.  His once long hair turned an entirely new shade of burnt sienna as his axe came down in a blazing arc.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:49:24 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trial by Fire in the Arena (A Dwarf Story)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:59 am »

Woah, nice story telling. Sounds interesting, looking forward to what is ahead.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:27:49 am »

Wow, now that you give the arena dwarves personas, I can't help but feel a little bad when I pit 50-loincloth wearing dwarves with daggers against a BC.

Also, loving Dwarf 10's failed attempt at giving the gate the finger.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

Woah, nice story telling. Sounds interesting, looking forward to what is ahead.
Err... actually, that's all that I really had planned.  :-[

This thing just sort of fell into place: I made a hundred grandmaster dwarves clad head to toe in adamantine, then sent wave after wave of enemies at them.  At around 70 dwarves left, i decided to send in a wave of magma/fire imps/men.  I paused it like 10 seconds later, and there were only 4 dwarves left.  The story was based off of them, but with a lot of artistic license.  For example, dwarf 10 was missing a finger, but it was the fourth one, not the third.  Dwarves 10 and 13 had all of three minutes of age on 53 and 54, which I don't remember much about.  And while I did choose 13 because of his scar, i'm not sure what caused it (i just remember watching some dwarves recover from ripped open throats after a huge wave of cats of all kinds).  Anyways, they lasted all of 2 seconds more after I unpaused the game; so any further episodes would require a lot more creativity, but i'm willing to give it a shot if you guys want me to.:)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.