Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seige Point  (Read 599 times)

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seige Point
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:23:00 pm »

Very Simple, You define this Point, when sieged all civilian dwarves go to this point, they drop everything and go, they don't go to get killed by the goblins.

I'm tired of my dwarves go to get slaughtered by goblins please do this.

ChubbyPitbull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seige Point
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:49:00 pm »

THis sounds like a good idea. Like setting up a lever and linking it with "alarm" mechanisms. Any civilian in range heads to a pre defined safe point (or lock themselves in their bedrooms, if they have doors?). They come out again when you tell someone to pull the lever again to sound the all clear. (A military man, noble, or someone that just comes out of their safe spot perhaps).

jonhuang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

Wow, a really excellent idea. Or even just tell them to go to their rooms would be enough.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:00 am »

I also propose that this alarm would wake all military dwarves(or even all dwarves) and interrupt their current activity(like Sparring in Barracks, Drinking or Filling Waterskin) unless they are in dire need of sustenace(they are at Very Hungry or Very Thirsty or perhaps only if they are at Starving or Dehydrated).

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

I think I'll take this opportunity to bump this. This really is an excellent idea.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »

Somebody posted an alarm idea suggestion before (along with many other mechanism suggestions).  It's related to Req273, which was the declation of a state of emergency, during which you'd gain control of your fortress/royal guards as units under the captain of the guard and the hammerer respectively.  The different meeting halls could have states of some kind I guess, to say if they are good for sieges (this relates to the current stay inside order perhaps).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Woodstock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »

While a siege point is a good idea, I'm more for more intelligent controls for the dwarves during a siege, so my fortress's industries can keep running.

For example, if I'm using a ballista in my defenses, it doesn't hurt if my dwarves keep making ballista bolts and my haulers keep bringing them up to a nearby stockpile. It's just that when some of my dwarves get killed there's suddenly a huge rush for their equipment.

Perhaps an option to turn off gathering of unclaimed items?

[ December 04, 2006: Message edited by: Woodstock ]

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Woodstock:
<STRONG>It's just that when some of my dwarves get killed there's suddenly a huge rush for their equipment.

[ December 04, 2006: Message edited by: Woodstock ]</STRONG>

If you think you can manage it, start up the economy.  Only nobles and legendaries claim things, the rest have to buy them at a store.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 04:11:00 pm »

so the work around for this would be to assign all your civilians to a squad, and set the squad to be stationed whereever you want your seige point to be.  you could micromanage with smaller groups and multiple points, if you so desired.

of course the downside is some mood change due to the draft, but it shouldnt be a big deal.  and anyway, you should probably expect people to be in a bad mood after being herded to a seige point, anyway.