Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Zombie Ettin  (Read 1599 times)

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Zombie Ettin
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:04:00 pm »

My fort had been visited by a few flying beasts that came up from the depths, but I had fortunately walled off all connections to the underground caverns as I dug past them in search of magma.  The dwarves were, however, rightfully worried by the arrival of a giant zombie ettin, a humanoid with two heads.  Had it been living the caravan would have easily felled the beast, but zombies don't die...

The zombie was held at bay by two caravan guards while the rest of the merchants escaped, and suffered grievous damage in the process, but was still ambulatory.  After this, two goblin ambushes had the pleasant experience of running into the Ettin; they were dispatched far more quickly than the caravan guards, even with the Ettin in a weakened state.

This fortunately bought the dwarves enough time to build a line of cage traps to catch the beast.  It finally lumbered through the main entryway, emitting a foul miasma everywhere it went.  It triggered a series of rock fall traps and weapon traps which seemed to have no effect.  A Dwarven Atom Smasher was next employed for defense, but was dashed to pieces as it came crashing on top of the monster.  Finally it stumbled right into a cage trap and was quickly locked away.  Everywhere its cage is stored is quickly overcome by the foul stench.

So, now what do I do?  This beast is destroying my framerate.  I tried dumping it in magma, but the ettin grease stayed in the magma for months emitting a miasma and refused to go away.  The dwarves won't build a cage under an atom smasher, and I'm not sure how to be rid of the beast.  As long as it is present I think its mass of wounds will forever warp the very fabric of space-time itself in its near vicinity.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Zombie Ettin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

Perhaps you can now sell it to the caravans?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:08:33 pm »

Building a cage under an atom-smasher won't work, but it is possible to just toss the cage off a ledge and have it end up underneath the drawbridge.  I'm unsure if this will have "unusual" results, however.  There might be some oddities.

Also, did you dump the cage or specifically the creature into magma?  Whichever one you did, try the other one to see if that works.  Magma will take time to work, but it shouldn't take that long...

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:10:30 pm »

Magma + water = awesome statue.

Actually, it makes me think of star wars, with Han trapped in that carbonite stuff. Except this one would be with two heads. And rotten flesh. And even more unpleasant... o.O
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »

Magma + water = awesome statue.

Actually, it makes me think of star wars, with Han trapped in that carbonite stuff. Except this one would be with two heads. And rotten flesh. And even more unpleasant... o.O
Yes, that's a good idea. Encase it in rock, then build a statue out of the rock.

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

A human caravan happened to arrive briefly after I tried dumping the Ettin into magma.  After a bit of savescumming I attempted to sell the ettin cage to the humans, but it turns out that if you attempt to sell cages with animals to a caravan, the dwarves will first dump the cage contents...

One more savescum and I tried dumping the cage containing the Ettin into magma instead of pitting the Ettin itself.  I dumped the cage with the zombie in it on a free space above a magma ocean.  I then channeled out the square, dumping the caged ettin into magma.

It worked!  The cage and ettin disappeared, and my fps jumped back from 70 to 150.

So, if any of you are having trouble disposing of zombies, remember this.  In the future it would be better to set up a grate over the hole with a lever attached, but I've heard that grates may not be sufficient defense against some monsters from the deep, so for now I'll leave it covered...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:23 pm »

Ah Zombies can die. Infact rather easily with sharp edged weapons...

And if you don't think that I am right, tell that to all the dead Zombie Trogs and Rats that are underneathe my bridge waiting to be amtomized.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...