Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forester  (Read 948 times)

ChubbyPitbull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forester
« on: November 16, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »

How about when a tree gets cut down, a wood cutter has a chance of getting a "cut" of the tree (a more skilled wood cutter has a better chance). Then, a "forester" dwarf could replant the cuts in a specified outdoor plot. Trees would still take a year or whatever to grow, and would still grow back on their own, but now the dwarves could look forward to a large group of trees ready to be cut next year, as opposed to having to run off the screen to find the closest 3 or 4 that grew back.

An alternate method for acquiring "cuts" off the trees for replanting would be to have a Forester use his Forestry skill to go to existing tress and obtain a cut off them; this could be done once a season per tree, or once a year perhaps.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forester
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:48:00 pm »

Replanting trees? Bah, that's hippy elf stuff! :P

ChubbyPitbull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:47:00 pm »

Replant them to be cut down again, but more.  :)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:35:00 am »

Sounds like something the human civ would do.  Dwarves love their stone and I would think they're idiots when it comes to managing trees =D

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:53:00 am »

Dwarves' arms are obviously too small and pudgy to hug trees.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:39:00 am »

quote:
How about when a tree gets cut down, a wood cutter has a chance of getting a "cut" of the tree (a more skilled wood cutter has a better chance).

I disagree with this way.
I propose : creating a new kind of item - wooden board (plank, whatever). Boards are cut logs. Just as stone blocks are cut rocks.
Obviously, you can make a chair or bed from logs or boards, but the board ones will be of much higher quality. And if there are boards - no one in their right minds would create a barrel out of huge logs.
When logs are processed into boards - you get twigs, as a byproduct. And THOSE are what the foresters could use.

ChubbyPitbull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
I disagree with this way.
I propose : creating a new kind of item - wooden board (plank, whatever). Boards are cut logs. Just as stone blocks are cut rocks.
Obviously, you can make a chair or bed from logs or boards, but the board ones will be of much higher quality. And if there are boards - no one in their right minds would create a barrel out of huge logs.
When logs are processed into boards - you get twigs, as a byproduct. And THOSE are what the foresters could use.</STRONG>

So long as its possible to get multiple boards from the log (and such that you could, for example make more than one bed or bucket per log), I think this would be a fantastic idea.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

quote:
So long as its possible to get multiple boards from the log (and such that you could, for example make more than one bed or bucket per log  

I would say it should depend on a tree itself (and the climate), and a carpenter skill. However, i think 2-3 boards per log should be enough for Legendary Carpenter. Maybe even only 2.

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: karnot ]

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:18:00 pm »

I don't really understand why anyone would want to make trees more common. On heavily forrested/woodland maps, there are more than enough trees.

If you want wood to be a full and complete alternative to having to undergo the horrors of protecting your lava forges, I'm sorry, but you need to get real.

I have no theoretical problem with any of these propositions about boards and planting little saplings, but I just don't understand why they seem to be so focused on increasing efficiency.

Wood is one of the few resources whose supply is at all limited (and really, even there it's not), why would you want to change that?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 03:28:00 pm »

I like the idea of getting more use out of a tree if you process it, though in that case I don't know if there would be any point to replanting them. A skilled carpenter getting two beds out of one tree would be enough of a benefit as it is.

Though what I'd really like is to see this coupled with more uses for wood in general. I usually find that I don't have much of a use for a carpenter beyond the first year. I find it harder and harder to justify buying the axe and skill points when all they're really useful for is getting a quick start on beds and barrels.

Oh well, I may just have to wait for Elf or Human Fortress...

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

quote:
 On heavily forrested/woodland maps, there are more than enough trees.

I cant see how there can be enough trees, even on woodland maps. In several games i cleaned the map quite fast, and had to dig a huge hall for towercap growing, which also takes 3+ years to grow.

quote:
I like the idea of getting more use out of a tree if you process it, though in that case I don't know if there would be any point to replanting them. A skilled carpenter getting two beds out of one tree would be enough of a benefit as it is.

Well, thats easy. Why there are different metal bar requirements for weapons and armor, but you can build anything with just one log ? Let it be the same, really. Its decently realistic guess that a chair can be made out of a log, but a bed cannot. You'd need several logs. And so on.

quote:
I usually find that I don't have much of a use for a carpenter beyond the first year.

How do you do that ? Drown each and every immigrant ? Coz i only breathe easily when i have 6-8 carpenters.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
How do you do that ? Drown each and every immigrant ? Coz i only breathe easily when i have 6-8 carpenters.</STRONG>

When you've got one dwarf doing nothing but chopping down trees and another one doing nothing but carpentry, it doesn't take long before you have a lot of beds. Sure, not enough for every single immigrant you'll ever get, but not every dwarf needs a room of their own, and they don't all sleep at the same time.

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »

Tower-cap spores.  I don't really think of dwarves as ecological sorts, at least outside.  But inside, I can see cultivating forests in a way that's slightly more sophisticated than "flood and wait."  I can envision starting saplings in potash-filled stone pots.  It would be more work, with some bonus in the next few years.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 10:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>Tower-cap spores.  I don't really think of dwarves as ecological sorts, at least outside.  But inside, I can see cultivating forests in a way that's slightly more sophisticated than "flood and wait."  I can envision starting saplings in potash-filled stone pots.  It would be more work, with some bonus in the next few years.</STRONG>

I must agree with this, this would be balanced by the fact that it would take 2 years plus the amount of time to get a shrubery going before you start to see any returns.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.