Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 640x300 tile and graphics set?  (Read 1794 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
640x300 tile and graphics set?
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »

Is there a tileset with proper walls and stuff, like Aesomatica or Maydays, which uses the same tile size as curses_640x300, or preferably one twice as big? Because in ASCII I have it set to:

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:curses_640x300.bmp]
[GRID:80:25]

And it is really legible and I like it, but I cant find a proper tile/graphics set that looks like this...

EDIT: Alternatively, how can I get the highlighted backgrounds of the default mayday DFG22?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:31:01 pm by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: 640x300 tile and graphics set?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »

So you are looking for a 640x300 specific tileset or are you looking for something like a 12x12? I could probably throw something together if need be. Check the tileset repository in the wiki.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:34 pm »

curses_640x300.bmp is a 8x12 tileset.
It's not square. Much better for text, but bad for tiles.

The day DF will support for two separate tilesets at the same time, one font tileset for the text section of the game and one graphic tileset for the graphic section of the game, will be an happy day.
But until then, it's squished tiles or text with too much spacing.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »

I just want a tile/graphics set that looks good and has easily legible text. My screen is 1280x1024. I really dont understand all the tileset stuff...
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »

I just want a tile/graphics set that looks good and has easily legible text. My screen is 1280x1024. I really dont understand all the tileset stuff...
Check this out: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository
Any tileset 16 pixel wide or smaller should work for you.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

As Phoebus say a 16 tileset would be best

or 16x16

That would fit full screen perfectly for you.

Might seem big or a little cut off on windowed mode though.. If you need help with the init settings I could throw something together real quick.

16x16 is the smallest tileset I think you'll get with "graphics"
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:30 pm »

As Phoebus say a 16 tileset would be best

or 16x16

That would fit full screen perfectly for you.

Might seem big or a little cut off on windowed mode though.. If you need help with the init settings I could throw something together real quick.

16x16 is the smallest tileset I think you'll get with "graphics"

To add on:

Though there have been SOME attempts in the past (check old wiki page on gfx tileset), the gfx are usually so small that personally I feel that they are not very usable as gfx.  Anything smaller than 16x16, I would really recommend running in non-gfx mode.  It is a little intimidating at first, but after you get used to it, I think it is actually better than small hard-to-distinguish/recognize gfx tiles unless you can read information off "colored-barcodes".

My personal 3 guidelines to using gfx tiles (if not met, should reconsider using gfx at all):
1. Tiles should be distinguishable (And not just being different, e.g. 1 pixel in different color in a complex pattern).
2. Tiles should be intuitive recognizable (e.g. is "E" an Elephant or an Elf? definite not for beginners.  gfx tiles can solve this, but only if it is STILL recognizable.)
3. Aesthetics: Using it should make your game look better and easier to comprehend.  If using gfx mode makes things more confusing or cause you to bleed your eyes singling out details: please consider using the original ascii mode. really.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:35 pm »

Argh, I get so confused with init settings and raws and stuff, I usually use maydays because it just works, and the text is highlighted so it is really easy to read... :(

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »

I have a 14x16 tileset and graphics set if you want to try it.  It's not the size you would like, but they are similar proportions.

I'll post a link once I get home from work.  I don't have the most recent version uploaded yet.

Edit: Took a bit to prepare, but here you go:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53471.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:49:36 pm by Stele007 »