Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Thoughts  (Read 346 times)

Nanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://games.thehavennet.org.uk
My Thoughts
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

Hey guys. This is my first real post to the forums and I'd like to use it to portray my thoughts. First of all, I'd like to thank Toady and everyone who helped make Dwarf Fortress into an absolutely amazing game, I love it! Anyway, here's my suggestions:

Advanced Healthcare: At the minute Health Care isn't really used, apart from bringing food and water to the needy, but perhaps it could be expanded. For example, a Health Carer could perhaps guess how long until that Dwarf would make a full recovery, of course this guess would be very, very rough and perhaps wrong. He could also perhaps slightly decrease the time it takes to heal the Dwarf. A legendary Health Carer could do lots. He could pin point when a Dwarf would recover down to the week, and speed up the healing process.

Health Carers could also study Fel Dwarves. The Health Carer, depending on it's skill could tell what materials exactly the Dwarf is looking for, which could save hassle.

Trade: I don't trade any more. I recoil in terror any time a merchant comes, thinking about having to search through the hundreds upon thousands of objects in my base just to get the few I want to trade. Please say this is going to be fixed!

Combat Mode: When I see a Dwarf battling it out with another creature, I'd like to see in detail how it works. For example, you could highlight the creature fighting by loo[k]ing and then pressing the corresponding button to enter Combat Mode. Combat Mode would be turn based where you press a button and it goes to the next turn, each time giving you a deeper insight on how the fight is going. Like "The Goblin swings his Mace which is easily avoided by the Dwarf...".

Advanced Combat: I'd love to tell my dwarves how to fight. Like, saying to Marksdwarves use Hit and Run tactics, or discharge all your arrows and then charge gloriously into battle! I'd like to tell Axedwarves to not kill a Goblin, only knock him out so I can feed him live to the Cougars. I'd like to tell my Swordsdwarves to form  Testudo and march towards the Goblin Bowmen and then rip them to shreds.

I'd post more, but alas, I have Physics Coursework due for the morning. Feedback?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

These are some nice ideas.
Especially Health Care, since sometimes dwarves never stand again after a shot or two, and I'd like to be able to know wether it's a week or a year until the dwarf can continue working.