Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better item descriptions  (Read 526 times)

Trichordate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better item descriptions
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

It would help us visualize some of the more elaborate items in the Dwarf Fortress universe if some elements of the item's description were 'placed' in different areas on the object:

quote:
This is Clutterold, a brass short sword. The hilt menaces with spikes of rock crystal and brass. On the blade is an image of a dwarf and an elephant in brass. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

The engravings and spikes are sorted into two seperate descriptive entities: the hilt and the blade. This wouldn't have any effect on gameplay, of course, but it looks better than 'This object menaces with...'.

[ July 27, 2007: Message edited by: Trichordate ]

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better item descriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

I believe it's in the bloats. There are some locational descriptions already by the way. An artifact bucket in my fortress says "The handle is made from gold"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

He he, yeah, the handle is the only one I think I did, as a test case for the bloat that I haven't gotten to yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
The Sword of Goujian is 55.6 cm (21.9 in) in length, including a 10 cm (3.9 in) hilt. The blade is 5 cm (2 in) wide. In addition to the repeating dark rhombi pattern on both sides of the blade, there are also decorations made of blue crystals and turquoise. The grip of the sword is bound by silk, while the pommel is composed of 11 concentric circles.

This description sounds very familiar :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Gou_Jian).

If anyone gets ideas for elements to use to compose artifact descriptions, this would be a good place.
For example:
- inlaid with ruby and turquoise fragments
- adorned with silver filigrain
- with mottled patterns forged into it
- lined with <gemstones>
- marked with the jet sign of <creator>
- dedicated to <deity> by a symbol of alder
- with flint knobs
- laced with bronze chains
- lined with cave spider silk
- etc.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.