Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preliminary weapon testing  (Read 1264 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Preliminary weapon testing
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:57:40 am »

Anyone who's poked in the raws has probably noticed that simple weapons are a thing of the past.

"The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks."

I'm currently doing some arena mode testing to try and work out some type of very rough scale or rule of thumb for the units involved.

Test phase 1: penetration
All weapons were edged, had a contact area of 10, and a velocity multiplier of 1000.  Size of 400, mat size 3.  Iron weapons and elven combatants were used in arena mode.  Attacker was grandmaster in everything, test subject unskilled.

Penetration values:
10 - skin torn, muscles and organs bruised, bones shattered
100 - fat torn, muscles and organs bruised, bones shattered
1,000 - muscles torn, organs bruised, tendon damage, bones shattered
2,000 - same as 1,000
3,000 - muscles alternately torn and torn apart, organs bruised and sometimes torn, bones shattered
4,000 - muscles torn apart, organs alternately torn and torn apart, bones shattered
5,000 and up - skin and muscle torn apart, organs torn apart, bones shattered
No significant differences were noted at 7,500, 10,000, or 100,000.

Most attacking elves were low to above average strength, but one very strong one was able to get organ damage with a penetration of 2,500.  Other than that one guy, results were consistent.

From these figures, it appears that 1,000 units is anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch, possibly dependent on strength.  Update: it definitely appears to be modified by fatness of the victim, not strength.  Skinny and normal elven opponents get torn organs from 3,000, fat ones get bruised organs.

Next up, what the heck the velocity multiplier does.

Phase 2: velo multiplier
Everything as above, but penetration was held at 3,000, and velocity mult varied.

Okay, I tried values of 10, 100, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, and even 100,000, and could not notice any consistent difference.  The differences in attack effects varied by the opponent's fatness, but velocity mult made no difference.

I'll try a lower skill level elf, I guess.  Still can't see any difference.  I also tried throwing the weapons, in case it's for ranged weapons only.  Really can't say I saw any difference there, either.

Phase 3: contact area

The contact area of 10 in the other tests was basically incapable of opening up a large enough wound to kill anything.  Even hits which "tore apart" the heart would only bleed a little.  And even on hits to the head which "shattered" the skull, it would only rarely hit the brain (though it would be instantly fatal when it did).  Now to test other values.  Penetration held at 8,000.

10 - Good for torture, I guess.  Stabbing the head has a rather poor chance of hitting the brain and killing.  Blows to fingers and toes only tear them.  Basically like the vanilla spear (which is 20).
50 - Stabbing the head has a good chance of hitting the brain, but isn't guaranteed.  Maybe 75%.  Blows to fingers and toes will chop them off.  Lung shots are not consistently lethal, but are sometimes.  Just can't seem to hit the heart at all, so I don't know what will happen.  This may be a good width for a rapier or very narrow stiletto, given the performance of 100 against the skull, below.
100 - Kills via blood loss a little more consistently, but you have to keep stabbing constantly, otherwise the bleeding stops.  Stabbing the head seems much less effective than 50, oddly.  Just won't hit the brain, maybe it can't pierce the bone at this width, and just "shatters" it with the impact.  Still can't seem to hit the heart.  Might work for a very slender dagger or something.
200 - Finally.  This one can kill from blood loss in a reasonable amount of time, even if all you hit are arteries in the arms and legs.  However, you still have to keep stabbing.  In one combat I finally got lucky and "tore apart" the heart on my first hit.  The bleeding stopped before he died!  Not very effective against the head.
500 - Hit an elf in the right lung on the first hit, and he bled out and died.  Looked like the bleeding was slowing by the time he died, so I'm going to call 500 the bare minimum that can kill consistently on a single hit to one lung.  2 hits anywhere is usually lethal, even if no arteries or organs are hit.  3 is practically a guarantee.  Will chop off hands, but not arms or feet.  It's inconsistent against the head, won't pierce the skull, but I saw it chop off a head once.
1,000 - Cuts off arms, but not legs.  Very lethal.  It's effective against the head again, too.  Chops through the skull into the brain, or cuts the whole thing off.
10,000 - Chops off anything it hits, including cutting elves in half if you hit the lower body.
100,000 - This is what the 2-handed sword does, 100,000 area and 8,000 penetration.  Do I need to tell you it's absolutely ridiculously overpowered?

From this testing, I'm going to say 1000 penetration units = about 2 cm, and 100 "area" units = a 1 cm wide cut or stab.  Velocity is a bit of a mystery.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:35:30 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary weapon testing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:36:56 am »

The velocity multiplier is pretty subtle - 1000 appears to be the default, and most weapons higher than that indicate more leverage.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!