Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sneaking...  (Read 1037 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sneaking...
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

So I have this Master Ambusher dwarf who can't sneak up on anything.

I don't mean he is discovered every time he gets near something/someone(he has only been "discovered" once), I mean it doesn't matter if he is sneaking or not.  Everybody ALWAYS knows where he is(wolves, dragons, hydras, sasquatches, cougars, elves, humans...).

Furthermore, it seems that Dragons and Hydras can see now see around corners(difficult to test vs other creatures as they don't announce themselves when they spot you).

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I know there were significant changes to how sneaking and spotting work but I am pretty sure something isn't right here.

EDIT: Upon further examination, there appears to be an element of weirdness.  All megabeasts, encounter creatures, and town folk seem to ignore sneaking.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:05:21 pm by PencilinHand »

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaking...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:32 pm »

Knew I couldn't be the only one having problems like this...
[pizza=omnomnom]

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

It seems they know you're there but not exactly where.

Instead of total invisibility it's a defense against ranged attacks. Still useful but not as overpowered.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

It seems they know you're there but not exactly where.

Instead of total invisibility it's a defense against ranged attacks. Still useful but not as overpowered.
so don't waste training ambush unless your fighting arrows?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:46:56 am »

Or breath attacks. And considering how many of the lovecraftian nightmare beasts of the underworld seem to have strange breath weapons it's probably still a useful ability.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:59 am »

This is one of my woes in Adventurer mode. I usually play as sneaky bastards who slit throats with their *wrought iron large dagger*s and vanish into the night, but now, I kinda lost that sense of... mystique.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jonesman64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:30:07 am »

It seems to me that sneaking has gone from total stealth... to move silently without hide. Stuff doesn't seem to know where I am... unless it has a line of sight to me or is about... greater then 10 tiles away. That number is kinda pulled out of thin air.. saying that enemies that are a decent ways off will not "see" you.