Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hive, A dwaven experiment lab.  (Read 1023 times)

arkraven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The hive, A dwaven experiment lab.
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:53:49 pm »

With this new update I propose a new fortress with a bunch of sealed off chambers known as the hive. Kinda like the resident evil hive, only its not just disease testing. Now I need some blue prints and ideas on how I could seal off certain areas without killing the victims volunteers of my insane perfectly normal and Horribly dangerous safe experiments.
>Philosopher
>Dislikes intellectual discussion

Rename her profession to "Professional Troll"

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hive, A dwaven experiment lab.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:06:58 pm »

locked doors... minor obsidian casting.. walling themselves in, channelling.. the ways of keeping a dwarf in its own area are endless.

Feeding said dwarf however is another matter all together.

You'd need to have a place to drop food or water inside or else you'd have a very rough time... perhaps a locked door airlock of sorts with a food stockpile inside the airlock.

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:12 pm »

You could mod away their need to eat (assuming there are still tags for that in the new version).  This might ruin any food-related experiments, though.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:12 pm »

In the past I was running a generational fortress based on the initial 7, and as part of that I had a children's section of the fort to keep the precious children from being kidnapped. They were locked up in a lavish area of the fort with beds, a dining area, and a food stockpile. I had a hole in the ceiling over the food stockpile where my dwarves would toss in barrels of booze and big stacks of prepared meals, and the children just stayed down there partying nonstop until adulthood. I also had a second hole in the children's area leading back to the main fort area, where I dumped the empty barrels back through for refilling - although I had to move an adult dwarf inside every so often to do that when the empty barrels piled up.

I later expanded it to include a farm, since farming is one job children would do - after that point the children would farm their own food, and the adult live-in brewer/cook would prepare it for their consumption.

For your uses, you could just have a hole in the ceiling to dump in copious amounts of barreled booze and some big stacks of prepared meals. Or you could toss in a well with a water supply and just throw down food if you wanted to torture the poor fellow with sobriety. Just make sure to keep an eye on the prisoner's food supply and not forget to feed him.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:47:31 am »

I had an idea not too long ago about a fortress built as a succession of 'cells' that could be sealed off from one another with a few levers.  Essentially it was a series of globes or towers submerged in magma (or even just free standing could work, if you were lazy) with walkways running between them.  A few diagrams-

Code: [Select]
===BBB=== F0
+D+++++D+
+D+++++D+
+=+++++=+
+D+++++D+
+D+++++D+
===BBB===

===^=^===F1
+++|+|=++
+++_+_=++
=========
++=_+_+++
++=|+|+++
===V=V===
F0 is the walkway, with D for doors and B for bridges (raised preventing flow, and lowered to allow flow).  The above floor is engineering, which contains pumps to clear out the walkway to re-allow access.  Note that the design has the two segments separated to ensure perfect seals.  Both ends of the segment have to be cooperating to open a walkway: north side controls north pumps/bridge, south side controls south pumps/bridge.  If either bridge is open, then the walkway remains flooded.  Since magma doesn't react normally to pressure, substituting water would require flooding the tunnel through a diagonal link (to reset pressure), which means slow flooding, or using another set of pumps outside to pump water in to equalize pressure.

Put it on hold when the new version came out, but I might pick it back up if the pathfinding bugs don't get a fix in the near future.  It's aggravating to have to constantly save and load just to get my miners to mine.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:03 am »

Feeding isnt hard.

Keep a food stockpile next to the locked dwarf room. Fill stockpile, lock stockpile room, open dwarf room.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:34:50 am »

A one tile farm, a one tile food stockpile for plants, a one tile stockpile for beer, a one tile stockpile for seeds. 3 barrels would be the easiest. They can keep themselves alive!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:01 am »

You might be able to overlap burrows, so every experiment area has a few stockpiles, and have a "keeper" dwarf that refills everyone's piles. I haven't used burrows yet so I don't know how much effort dwarves put into staying in them.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.