Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced sieges  (Read 573 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Advanced sieges
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Aside from what's already mentioned on the bloats about invading armies using siege weapons (battering rams, etc). I was thinking that maybe invading armies (specially those crafty goblins) should be able to build or bring in special siege structures like bridges and ladders to bypass moats and walls that don't touch any ceiling or even climbing towers from the outside. Of course, invading armies would take their time installing or building those. So that dwarves have time to apply counter-measures or simply try to destroy them.

By the way, competing dwarven kingdoms should be able to provoke a siege also. This would bring the extra element of enemy miners trying to bore holes in unsuspecting places to surprise well defended fortresses.

[ July 26, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:05:00 am »

This would severly damage plans involving moats, making the player have to improvise something at that moment.

Having said that .. sounds great  :)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 06:58:00 am »

Its actually on the list for sieging armies to be a LOT smarter. Miners, moat crossing, ladders, etc. Check the dev/bloat stuff  :)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Whoops!

I skimmed the full list stopping to read anything related to armies and sieges, trying to find any mention of it. Yet I missed it. Sorry.

Anyway, the list of stuff is so ginormous that is difficult for first time posters like me to read it in full and in detail in just a few days/weeks   :p.

[ July 26, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>Anyway, the list of stuff is so ginormous that is difficult for first time posters like me to read it in full and in detail in just a few days/weeks    :p.
</STRONG>

If you havn't read it yet, you should use ctrl+F to look for keywords involving your idea like seige, armies and moat.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Sort of a connected item, I think dwarves are much better at mining due to their strength and skill... if gobs humans or elves armies try to mine into the mountain they are going to be slower than an untrained miner.  A troll might do a little better, but with low intelligence they shouldn't be able to raise their skill very high.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>If you havn't read it yet, you should use ctrl+F to look for keywords involving your idea like seige, armies and moat.</STRONG>

Thanks for the tip!

By the way. I just used it to search for keywords related to sieges, armies and moats and so far the only related thing I have found is this:

altering landscape for siege purposes

Which frankly sounds too broad, so I think suggestions like the one I made still apply if only to specify what could be considered as "altering the landscape for siege purposes".  :)

Anyway, just to flesh out things more. I think dwarves, or invading armies for that matter, should be able to build portable stuff that can be packed and carried away like small wooden bridges and ladders, or even full encampments.

Tallim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

Sappers would be a worry... especially with new z axis. Dig out under your moat and boom floods the lower part of your fortress.

Would be interesting though to see the siegers arrive , then build a few catapults while several miners on your side try to dig out the foundations they have put them on.

Could also fling refuse into your fortress. Much like old siege warfare.

Having dwarf nations sieging you would set up some nice situations. Unhappy dwarves defecting?

Cats always land on their feet, finding the feet after is the trick.