Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No mining  (Read 672 times)

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No mining
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »

As an absurd challenge mode sort of thing, how fun would it be to run a game with absolutely no use of mining whatsoever? I'm thinking of trying it, just to see how that would go over, though I can imagine the incredible use of wood to do everything would be rather interesting.

Opinions?
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: No mining
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:18 pm »

The elves are going to hate you for this. That's why you should do it.
くコ:彡

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »

are you playing 2010?
if so, how are you going to irrigate to farm?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

Outdoor farms don't require irrigation, only indoor ones. But I believe you have to do it on soil, which won't be a problem since I'd probably do this on a flat jungle area anyhow.

And yes, elves will hate me, which is fun.
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

The Kobold Camp mod has this sort of challenge in mind. Find yourself a cave. Hopefully it'll connect underground and you can get some mud.

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »

The Kobold Camp mod has this sort of challenge in mind. Find yourself a cave. Hopefully it'll connect underground and you can get some mud.

Sounds interesting, but I sorta have a thing against mods. I dunno, I might try that after a few failed attempts of doing it on the normal game.

And how does one locate a cave?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »

in the world gen, you can set caves to be visible from the world map.

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

Ah, thank you kindly.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:56:56 pm »

If you wanted a completely surface world, you can generate a world with no underground layers whatsoever.

If you set the cavern layer count to 0 and turn off both the bottom layers it completely removes the underground. Then you can up the levels above ground a bit to give you room to build towers and the like if you want more than the default 15. Doing this you can get a world with nothing but the dirt level (1 level underground, would let you dig channels on surface layer but no deeper) and the surface, as well as any sky levels. No rock whatsoever unless you embark on a mountainous area.

The upside is you can get really good framerate with so few z-levels. The downside is that you never get to fight the underground critters, but you could still fight goblins and wandering megabeasts. Or you could set cavern layer to 1 and just have a very small underground, then try to find a cave with an entrance to it - that way you could still have underground invasions and somewhere to explore without actually mining.

It might be interesting modding the game to allow you to play humans, then building yourself a human village and settling by a river for water. With so few z-levels you could probably get a really good framerate going even with a big population.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link