Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative beds  (Read 1281 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative beds
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

I'm currently playing on a parched map, which is a very interesting challenge, but there's this one thing... There's no wood. Even tower caps won't grow. They've been saplings since day one and my 100+ dwarves are getting mighty irritated at sleeping on the floor (except the 10 dwarves that are sleeping in the beds made by the wood from the carts).

Would it be possible to introduce some other kind of bed? Say a hammock made from cloth? Not as comfy as a wooden bed, but it'll do in a pinch. Sure beats sleeping on the floor.

On that note, the absence of buckets is making itself felt in the areas of healthcare and dwarf hydration, too...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Alternative beds
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

It takes at least three years for the tower caps to grow from the time they first sprout. If it's been at least four years since they first sprouted it sounds like a bug.

That said, I agree that it would be good to have some other forms of bedding available. In addition to hammocks there could be bedrolls and futons. I would also like to see proper bedding such as sheets, pillows, duvets and quilts added, perhaps even a mattress for the beds.
Wikipedia - Bedding has a fair number of potential items for this.

As for the buckets, they can be forged from metal.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:03:00 am »

If you really can't have wood at your disposal in any way, I belevie that's what the trade caravans are for... Trade aiming for the barrels and bins instead of what is inside, and when you get your trade minister... Can you ask specifically for wood?
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

You will be able to ask for wood in the next release, I believe.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

just make them an awesome dining room and some nice engravings everywhere and they won't care where they sleep.  As long as they get happy thoughts from doing other things it doesn't matter if they each have a bed or not

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

Hammocks are so easy to make and tie to anything vertical that it's a wonder dwarves don't have them.  I made one like that in 5 minutes and it works quite well.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 09:26:00 am »

So thats why my dwarves are not complaining about not having beds, my legendary mason is always engaving.

[ July 25, 2007: Message edited by: Bien ]