Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Lopped off' colour  (Read 431 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Lopped off' colour
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:22:00 am »

Lightly Wounded and "lopped off" wounds are both grey, the only difference is in their tone. Problem is

1) How to remember which shade of grey means which?
2) LCD monitors...

And there is a bit of a difference between a person with a scratch on his hand or with a missing hand.

Could the text for 'lopped off' wounds instead of being grey, blink? or do something else? (What about purple?)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lopped off' colour
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:25:00 am »

I beleive you can change any color of your choice at the end of the init.txt file. Since it's a particular problem due only to your own screen (even other LCD screens might not have this problem, a lot of LCD screens are different in contrast and depth than others) it might be a better and easier localised solution than asking for a globalised result nobody else need.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

I think I would go for inverse color for cut off.  Black text on white background.  I think visibility is a problem for everyone, but most just don't care about thier dwarves enough to worry about it.

Another thing that could be done is to color the letter differently. For example a scratch or something would cause some of the letters in the words to be red indicating a small amount of bleeding.  It is all a matter of how much information Toady wants to convey.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Veroule:
<STRONG>I think I would go for inverse color for cut off.  Black text on white background.  I think visibility is a problem for everyone, but most just don't care about thier dwarves enough to worry about it.</STRONG>

Try not-worrying in adventure mode  :)

It could mean the difference between a giant who's ready to rip your head off with a minor scratch on his arm, or a giant who's lying on the floor in a pool of misc. oppendage

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

I view it sort of like this: the lightly wounded color is similar to the streight white of no-wounds, and the lopped off color is similar to the greyed-out color of some windows menus, where greyed-out represents an unavailable choice. Altough, it would probably be more logical to make lopped-off to be the bright purple that's usually used to indicate severe conditions in DF, such as the purple cluttering sign, people getting tied in knots by wrestlers, or the purple go-away text.

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]