Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFG22 or else?  (Read 1883 times)

tr0ubl3mak3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DFG22 or else?
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:30 am »

Hello!  I'm fairly new to DF but have ran into a snag.

I dl'ed DFG22 from the may green site, and whenever I try to run it, it just crashes out.  I've checked the init.txt to make sure everything it setup properly..  all looks fine.  And there's no errorlog.

However, Vanilla 0.31.01 runs just fine.  So I know I'm able to run the game.  I would so much like to try one of these GUI's like mayday's, and I'm looking more for stability rather than being up to date.  Any chance you could point a newbie in the right direction?  I've been searching and trying ideas for hours now. :(

JavelinD

• Bay Watcher
  • ... what?
    • View Profile
Re: DFG22 or else?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

just download an earlier mayday release he should have the links on his site still
Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun, Evil is good, and the first hit is free... Actually, all the hits are free... Dang, no wonder it's so addicting.

tr0ubl3mak3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:25:55 am »

Which should I try though?  He does have previous releases listed, but there isn't information on which one's work...  just a changelog.  That's why I'm asking your advice lol.

prinnyzombie

• Bay Watcher
  • like my horrible painting? yah its awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:05 am »

i find that the DFG 21 release works rather well.  plus unlike the dfg version that uses d18 (DFGv22) DFG 21 uses d16 and that makes it so that dwarf therapist works with it.  i find dwarf therapist to be essential to playing this game cuz it makes managing jobs so much easier and faster.

tr0ubl3mak3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »

Aight I'll try that one.  Ty ^^

EDIT:  Unfortunately, that one crashes on startup also.  I really have no idea why vanilla would run but Mayday won't, considering other people are able to get it to run.  Guess I'll hit up the support forum :/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:36:53 pm by tr0ubl3mak3r »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »

Aight I'll try that one.  Ty ^^

EDIT:  Unfortunately, that one crashes on startup also.  I really have no idea why vanilla would run but Mayday won't, considering other people are able to get it to run.  Guess I'll hit up the support forum :/
did you try keeping the graphic downloads separate from the vanilla files? because they are built stand alone, the graphics mods

tr0ubl3mak3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »

Yep, didn't mix the 2.  Unzipped DFG to a new clean folder just to be sure, and ran it unmodified.

tr0ubl3mak3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:39:37 pm »

D'oh..  fixed the problem.  Apparently something video related on my comp crashed or glitched.  Rebooted computer and it fixed it.  Go figure.

Now that I know things are working, would you still recommend DFG21 over 22?  Or any other gui's?

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:35:43 pm »

Definitely DFG21, and look into getting Dwarf Therapist - It allows you to organise jobs and is almost essential for larger forts than around 20...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.