Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polar exploration  (Read 1023 times)

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Polar exploration
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »

Hi, newbie here. Since everybody else is out to conquer the underground, I thought I'd take my long-nosed, thin-faced elven adventurer on a detour through the antarctic in an attempt to reach one of my old fortresses on an island in her world's deep south.

The first thing I noticed was that the ice is almost totally smooth and flat everywhere you go. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I'd think there would be all sorts of rises and valleys everywhere, especially near the coast where the ice does most of its melting and refreezing. Suddenly -

Behind me an ice wall heaved itself up, blocking my adventurer from returning the way they had come. Not long after another wall rose into the air, blocking the path ahead. So I turned north, eventually coming to a bend I could circumnavigate. I also met some walruses, and found a deep canyon in the ice that apparently led to a shallow pool below, though I was spread all over the floor before I could make any observations.

Has anyone else bothered to explore their world's cold nether regions?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polar exploration
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

First off, check the temperature. Ten dwarfbucks that it's "warm" at the very least.
Second off, the glacier hates you it seems. Go back there and kill it's walruses.
And thirdly, try and not melt in any ice that suddenly melts under you.

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:15:39 pm »

First off, check the temperature. Ten dwarfbucks that it's "warm" at the very least.
Second off, the glacier hates you it seems. Go back there and kill it's walruses.
And thirdly, try and not melt in any ice that suddenly melts under you.

Interestingly enough, it is "warm." This is something I've noticed in Fortress mode as well at the fort I mentioned; even in the summer, when all the snow was melted, the ocean remained ice. I don't mean just the surface was ice, although I was expecting it to be only on the surface (since I embarked in the subpolar south.) No, the entire ocean was ice. And it never, ever melted.

Unfortunately, the walruses are so far away now that I'm afraid I'll be walled in by ice before I can get near them.

I'll try.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:17:13 pm by wrytalin »

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:36 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome! I noticed the polar areas when I last genned a world, but I've not tried exploring them yet.

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »

Okay, now I've got a problem. I've reached the seaside, and I decided to take a dip just to see what happens. I checked the temperature in the immediate vicinity of the shore to check if it was "scorching" (it wasn't) and dove in, and then the game froze. I've tried this three times.

I also noticed that further out from the coastline, the waters were shifting. Boiling? I'm not sure. It ceased after a while.

Aaaand now the game's just frozen while I was simply walking. This is getting ridiculous.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »

Okay, now I've got a problem. I've reached the seaside, and I decided to take a dip just to see what happens. I checked the temperature in the immediate vicinity of the shore to check if it was "scorching" (it wasn't) and dove in, and then the game froze. I've tried this three times.
I also noticed that further out from the coastline, the waters were shifting. Boiling? I'm not sure. It ceased after a while.
Aaaand now the game's just frozen while I was simply walking. This is getting ridiculous.
Well, duh. You are trying to walk over the edge of the world, where the realty created by Armok ends. So obviously you couldn't travel there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »

I'm going to explore the frozen north now, if I don't make it back please use my corpse as a sleigh.
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:07 pm »

NO! Your not supposed to go there! Stay in the secret underground cavern like a good boy!

Also yeah it's going to be glitchy as hell in the arctic becuase of the new versions temperature crap.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:09 am »

The glacier started melting so I used travel mode to get the hell out of there. (My frame rate went to ****)
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:27:54 am »

Do note that the temperature readings you get in adventure mode are relative.  If you took your clothes off, you'd notice a distinct drop.

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 04:17:42 am »

Do note that the temperature readings you get in adventure mode are relative.  If you took your clothes off, you'd notice a distinct drop.

Holy shit. Are you serious?

Well, now that I test it, it does seem to have some effect - traveling in tundra when it's snowing, for example, and stopping to check the temperature at night returns "it's freezing" while during the day the snow is "cool." Beyond that, however, it's still "hot," and outside the polar/subpolar regions the relative temperature remains a constant scorching degrees Urist.

Quote from: The Eviscerator of Gods
The glacier started melting
I wish I could see that.