Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using an alternative keyboard layout  (Read 616 times)

windows_button

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Using an alternative keyboard layout
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »

Hi,

The game's great, but a way to use an alternative layout is crucial to me, since I'm using a heavily modified version of Dvorak layout. It's otherwise ten times better than the usual Qwerty, but not usable in DW's current state. It wouid be nice if DW used same layout as the operating system.

Thank you in any case!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using an alternative keyboard layout
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

The controls are fully customizable, aren't they?  Make it yourself, then upload somewhere it so other people can use it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

windows_button

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:28:00 am »

Umm... The thing is that my keys are physically rearranged, but the game recognizes them as if they were arranged in the old fashion. I'll give an example: I set the command "set building preferences" (default Q) as Q in MY layout, but MY Q is in the place of "[" in OLD layout. Also when taking into account that the game changes the key displayed next to a command( e.g. "[: Set buildings /prefs" ) instead of keeping it static, it's impossible to locate a right key.

That wasn't a very clear explanation, I know.
I could have understood it wrong, I'm probably right. Please fix it. I think it would'nt be that hard. Hopefully.  :p  

Thanks.

Shinjin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 08:51:00 am »

So the keyboard is a normal qwerty keyboard with the keys popped off and re-arranged in a modified Dvorak layout?  If so, what are you using to map the qwerty keyscan codes to your modified Dvorak layout?

I know Windows comes with a couple of different Dvorak drivers to do this, but your description of 'heavily modified version of Dvorak layout' suggests that you are using something else

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Shinjin ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:20:00 am »

Well, it is not really windows_button fault. The way DF recognises the key is really weird, and it half messes up with my regular AZERTY keyboard.

If you press "esc", "Keybinding", change and then save it will create a config.txt file or something like that. (search in the inti directory). If you edit that file, you can change the label of the key.

Example : DF recognises my "?" as ">" (The label for my help key is now ">" after having modified it). I open the configuration file, search the ">", and change the label of the key to "?".

So, DF believes that I press ">", but knows that it has open the help menu, and display it as a "?".

windows_button

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 12:14:00 am »

I think flap is getting it right. DF supposedly uses the English Qwerty-layout as default regardless of the layout that the operating system is using. I couldn't find "?" in my previous Scandinavian Qwerty, when playing DF. My own layout is working without any problems under Windows, so I think the problem is in the game. It probably should be using the same layout as the OS rather than using a sticky default.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:00 am »

I don't know how to query the OS for your keys.  In windows, I'm using virtual key codes, but since saying "KEY BF" would be equally worthless, I put some default strings in interface.txt that you can change or remove.  It's the same as the Kobold Quest code, so if somebody changes that to magically grab values from any keyboard and come up with sensible strings, I can use that instead.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 02:23:00 am »

Hmm, that's definitally worse a look. I'll try to check that Toady.