Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Immigrants  (Read 4770 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 02:35:32 pm »

What I don't like about this is getting weird profession combonations.
Like a milker and a mechanic, just doesn't make sense.
But I like how there's more skilled migrants instead of just regular ones.

That's actually a pretty sensible one, since milking is a sometimes job.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 04:27:10 pm »

Am I the only one who liked the old way? It feels kinda wrong when the carpenter that spent a year with me gets overshadowed by some random grandmaster carpenter.

I fully agree with this statement. I prefer (relatively) unskilled immigrants, because the high master dual skill immigrants make planning your starting skills useless. Chances are, a better immigrant will show up within a year anyway.

Also, from a story point of view, why would such a skilled worker ever leave? If someone is a grandmaster thresher, and they work for a well established community, they are probably one of the more skilled workers and have no reason to leave, because they are simply better. On the other hand, my season-old fortress has no need for a dedicated thresher yet, because my clothworks get developed past sandbags only around year two, so the thresher would end up having to switch professions.

Altogether, immigrant skills should be scaled based on the age of your fotress. while you should always have a small chance of getting a grandmaster something, if their old home was destroyed for some reason, they should be few and far in between. On the other hand, when youve been playing for a good year or five, you should be getting more skilled dwarves that simply want a change of scenery and have guaranteed work.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »

Maybe they wanted a change of scenery?  Maybe they lost all their family and want to start afresh?  Maybe they have a suicidal deathwish to be eaten by unspeakable horrors of the depths?  Who knows why dwarves leave a successful mountainhome.

Has anyone been trying to figure out how immigrant skills are determined?  It seems there is some grouping going on, like a novice axedwarf also has other novice fighting skills, but can then have unrelated civ skills.  Total skill amount seems to be random, I have some with lots of Proficient and higher skills, and some that are actually peasants - with nothing but a couple of social skills.  It does seem that skill level is picked by a straight roll rather than the sequence of rolls that are done for item quality.

Also vaguely related, I now get immigrants with 'pets' that are actually stray animals.  Which means they are just free food that transports itself..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:59 pm »

What I don't like about this is getting weird profession combonations.
Like a milker and a mechanic, just doesn't make sense.
But I like how there's more skilled migrants instead of just regular ones.

So a dwarf who works on a cattle ranch, milking the cows and making sure everything works doesn't make sense? Does to me.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 05:45:16 pm »

In terms of migrants/fortress wealth I think there is definitely a link between total fort value and current dwarf population that determines the size of your waves.

I have had four forts so far, and two of them had starting values indicating something Fun that I was not yet aware of (250k and 105k starting value).

Those two had migrant waves between 7 and 20 for the first year and a half (didnt get to see much beyond that)

The two without any starting "value" would get waves of 3-5 and in my most recent one, i got two waves putting me up to 18 and the third and fourth seasons were skipped (i started doing a lot of stone hauling and refining instead of digging and furniture making).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]