Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Shops  (Read 398 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Shops
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

This has probably been suggested mutliple times, but here are some more ideas.

Soap Shop
Grocer
Furniture Store
Toy Store

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: New Shops
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

As well as stores dedicated to holding only one specific type of craft.

You have toy stores there, but what about:
Jewlery Shops -- Further divided into Ring, Amulet, Bracelet, Ear-ring, Large Gem Shops

Idol Shops -- possibly also dedicated to only one god, or gods that are 'friendly' with eachother; having idols of god X who hates god Y in the same shop could be, trouble.

Musical Shops -- possibly dedicated to just one type of instrument, or even one material type (of a specific instrument) So you have Brass Drums and Iron Drums being sold in seperate shops.

"Nobility" Shops -- Scepters, Crowns, and Large gems... Possibly also Artifacts and Magical things (when those are put in) along with Alchemy products (Golden Salve and Liquid Fire)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

I would be happy if my stores, regardless of what they are denominated as, carried something other than narrow armor or heavily worn clothing.

Every now and then a shop keeper will drag in a -chalk ring-.

Most of my legendaries just grab whatever they want out of the shop an item was made in, or a stock pile.  And when I see people going shopping, they very rarely leave with something, but I have seen them carry worn equipment to the stores.

igless

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Shopping is currently a little annoying.
Since the preponderance of useless junk filling up clothing stores, you need to build massive numbers of shops (since only 1 in 4 is clothing) to allow dwarfs to buy new clothes.  Of course, every once in a while you still have to destroy the shop and designate all the crap in it for dumping, then rebuild.

I do not see the need for having a load of new shops - though being allowed to choose what kind of shop to build would be nice.

Also - a furniture store is useless since dwarfs do not buy furniture.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Entropy ]