Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Military Problems: Dwarves won't ever equip anything  (Read 1264 times)

tigervx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Military Problems: Dwarves won't ever equip anything
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:00:22 pm »

So I've played through four fortresses so far and they've all failed, because I can't for the life of me get my dwarves to equip any kind of weapons or armor. Right now my fortress is infested with Naked Mole Rats, I have a legendary weaponsmith cranking out iron spears, hammers, axes, and short swords, I have 2 squads of 4 dwarves, I have an arsenal dwarf assigned with a modest office, I have designated a box kill order on all the mole rats in my fortress, I have gone into the equipment screen and told all my dwarves to equip spears, and yet whenever I let them try and kill the buggers they don't equip any armor or weapons and just try to kill them with their bare hands.

Seriously, what the hell? What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Military Problems: Dwarves won't ever equip anything
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »

I *think* what you need to do is set your military to the correct alert level.

In the military screen, on the alerts tab, your dwarfs need to be set to active/training, not inactive.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »

I've had this problem before. Done two things:
1) Disabled all other jobs for armorer
2) Set equipment to replace from overlap.
Not sure which helped, but they do wear armour and have weaps now

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »

Apologies if youve already seen this but: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_guide

It helped immensely and ive got a (fingers crossed so far) unbuggy military, even the whole "Endless training" isnt endless and they are actually skilling up and wearing what i tell them too.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

tigervx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:13:29 pm »

I've had this problem before. Done two things:
1) Disabled all other jobs for armorer
2) Set equipment to replace from overlap.
Not sure which helped, but they do wear armour and have weaps now

This one did the trick! My arsenal dwarf was a lowly peasant, but apparently he had been spending all this time (and apparently all the time in my other fortresses) planting plump helmet rather than writing up paper work. I disabled all his farming and hauling jobs and he's now in his office while dwarves grab spears. Thanks for the help, this community is so damn helpful!