Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Only" 30-40ish zlevels underground?  (Read 801 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Only" 30-40ish zlevels underground?
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:42:32 am »

That's all I'm getting. Well, my first 2010 world had over 150 at the embark point although that fortress was short lived due to starvation issues. However I've made several new worlds over the last couple of days but all of them seem to bottom out around 30-40 levels below ground level and thats not nearly deep enough!  :(

Am I missing something? Is there a parameter for deciding zlevel/layer numbers that I might have buggered up without realising?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Only" 30-40ish zlevels underground?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:01 am »

Yep, there is couple of parameters that affect the z-levels. You could check them up from the parameters when you create new world with using custom settings.

Though don't ask me how those work, haven't yet fiddled any of those.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:27:59 am »

In the first DF 2010 fortress I created, I didn't know that the max number of z-levels had been upped, and wanted so see how many I had for that particular fortress.

I quickly started to get it when it passed 20-40, but I kept going until I stopped at more than 200 z-levels below the surface.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:02:09 am »

Well I'm no t sure what was going on but I redownloaded it and generated a new world with the default "create world now!" and have 180 levels beneath my wagon again.  ;D

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:24:09 am »

Custom worldgen has options for layer heights. There are 5 layers, and IIRC the default for custom is somewhat low. Fiddle around in there, and you, like me, ended up with very small underground areas. Up the layer height parameters, and you will be back in business.