Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Traps are worthless now.  (Read 1554 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Traps are worthless now.
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:00 am »

Since the new body parts system was added and traps have a million new places to hit, they are utterly useless. Where before a stonefall trap would reasonably be expected to convince a single goblin to go away now they have virtually no chance at all of doing anything  - I just had a goblin run through five of them, two appear to have done nothing, two appear to have lightly bruised parts of his arm and the fifth crushed his big toe. They were all dropping chunks of marble, if the weight of the rock has any effect.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Traps are worthless now.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19:20 am »

Stonefall traps are a lot less deadly then before, but they still do an OK job of crushing invaders. You can't just rely on them to protect your whole fort anymore (which is a good thing) but they will soften them up a bit.

I've not tested all the weapon trap components yet, but so far axe blades and serrated disks still seem to be reasonably deadly.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:29:23 am »

Stonefall traps are a lot less deadly then before, but they still do an OK job of crushing invaders. You can't just rely on them to protect your whole fort anymore (which is a good thing) but they will soften them up a bit.

I've not tested all the weapon trap components yet, but so far axe blades and serrated disks still seem to be reasonably deadly.

This would be great if the military system was working, but as it is I only have one dwarf who ever does anything and even he doesn't want to drop his wooden training sword. As it is, traps are my only defense.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:14 am »

Have you tested other weapon traps?
Weapon traps, spear traps, spike traps and so on?
Also if enemies can dodge the traps, maybe the quality of the mechanism will play even bigger part than in the last version?

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:45:26 am »

I've got a 10 copper disk weapon trap, seems to slice 'n dice goblins well enough, only problem is it gets clogged up too quickly to be used alone. I've got another trap testing out axe blades / spikes / balls - but the goblins just seem to hang around on the surface stopping any dorfs from leaving.

Having to rely on traps due to my militarys refusal to train / buggy nobles screen meaning I've just now got the option to appoint an arsenal dwarf after all my appointment screen went blank for hours on end.