Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kill/Capture Designations  (Read 464 times)

Remliel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kill/Capture Designations
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »

So, I was playing Evil Genius (think DF except with a Bond-style Villain instead of dwarves. Highly recommended) and one of the things I liked was having 'kill tags'. Which meant I could kill anything I wanted, even if it was harmless. So, why not rip off a good idea and institute that in DF, so people can finally exterminate the Unicorns and Elephants with an army instead of waiting for traps or hunters to do it?

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kill/Capture Designations
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

You can already do that. Set your squads to "harass dangerous wild animals".

Remliel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

And what if I REALLY want to kill that Elven caravan for whatever reason and have no handy flood? It's useful for more than just animals!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

This would allow harassing specific animals.  Useful if you want to send a squad to take out that pack of wolves over there, without them getting distracted by the groundhogs on the way and taking half a season to arrive, at which point only half the squad is there because the others are sleeping, On Break, or recovering from groundhog-related injuries.  (It would also, as previously mentioned, allow attacking creatures other than wild animals.)

As for the interface, I suggest setting it from the Profile (v-p) screen.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

I like the suggestion (and I liked Evil Genius, too). Heh, it would be better to have Kill and Capture under the d) menu like Mine, though. It would make possible to just "paint" a lot of creatures for death or capture at the same time, instead of marking them individually from some submenu requiring selecting them.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Remliel:
<STRONG>And what if I REALLY want to kill that Elven caravan for whatever reason and have no handy flood? It's useful for more than just animals!</STRONG>

...or the odd irritatingly injured dwarf

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks