Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lineages  (Read 464 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lineages
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

I think children should share the same last name as their parents, and perhaps the parents should adopt each other's last names, too.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lineages
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

A problem that immediately springs to mind is that DF currently generates the entire world from 10 starting creatures.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

Ten starting pairs, for each of the five races.  Elves get ten, humans get ten, dwarves get ten, so on.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Wow. Never knew that.  That's actually quite cool, if you went back and removed one of the first 30, the world could change for ever.  :D
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:16:21 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Last names oughtta be tied to legends.  When your adventurer gets a special name, he might pass it onto his kids.  When a civvie serves the king faithfully for his whole life and becomes near-legendary in his craft, he should get a name, too.  If a person gets a whole bunch of enemies and is widely known as pond scum, hey, that's almost legendary too.

> Ask about ancestry
] Urist Goldenbeard says "Six generations ago, my maternal grandmother's ancestor Bomrek Goldenbeard acquired the name Goldenbeard for service to the king as a metalsmith."

More ideas:

Naturally, a person can acquire a new last name at any time.  When dwarves marry, they should take the most valuable last name.  Names are valuable if they are A) rare, B) related to a legend of high fame, good or bad, and C) to a much smaller extent, recent.  So if someone slayed a dragon in year 5, that'll be very highly esteemed...if their ancestor in the year 800 married someone whose father slew a titan in 750, though, they'll probably take the titanslayer name instead as it's much more recent.  Also, if that dragonslayer goes and has a hundred children, that name starts being worth less and less...

Hey, maybe earlier-born children are considered more highly esteemed bearers of their family name.  So in year 500 or so, the firstborn daughter of the firstborn son of the firstborn daughter of that dragonslayer's family is going to give that family name to whatever person she marries.  However the eighthborn son has such little claim to the name, that he might end up with the name of some family that is known for raising goats.  Tough luck.

In early years, almost every event is notable enough to earn you your first REAL last name (maybe you gotta start with some bogus random one just for sanity's sake).  Later on, any name you have probably has some important history.  The esteem of names can rise and fall, too:  If your father was a goat herder, then if YOU herd goats too, it actually adds esteem to that name.  So ten generations of goatherders, and it's a very well known name.  Family wealth might add to that family's name.  If you create an artifact, well, that's neat...But if your artifact slays ten goblins, then it adds esteem to the name related to creating that artifact.

Ancestry should have an impact on someone's personality or career choices too.  If your family is known for herding goats, then you should be inclined to do the same.  If your family is known for slaying dragons, your personality should get nudged towards bravery.

I'd like to say that it's impossible to revive a 'dead' name, you can only get one by being the originator of some great event, by marrying into it, or by being born into it...so if you were a goatherder, decide that name sucks and take a soapmaker's name instead, then goatherding gets popular, you're SOL.  Still, maybe that wouldn't always be true--if creating an artifact wasn't awesome enough to bump off the dragonslaying name you had, then killing a thousand goblins with it should push the creation of that artifact over the edge and give you the name after all...Hmm.

Oh yeah, one last note.  This idea still works fine if the actual names themselves are totally random.  "Copperygears" is a totally reasonable name for a family of cow milkers.  It'd be more fun if names had meaning but it isn't necessary, yanno?

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

Hi!

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Ten starting pairs, for each of the five races.  Elves get ten, humans get ten, dwarves get ten, so on.</STRONG>

This makes introducing genetics into DF a bit scary ...... (^_^;;

Anyhow, I do not think names should be legend-linked. Instead, I like the idea of them showing up a little bit delayed.

Another aspect could be building inheritance - last names become tied to a building. So, if the first shopkeeper in the local weapon store had Bottleneck for his last name, all subsequent shopkeepers would inherit that name when they become shopkeepers there.

I am not sure whether this would work so well for rulers of cults or towns, though, as it is rather a title than a last name which is inherited.

Anyhow, another problem I see with differentiation is the tendency to have very little (if any?) historical fatalities due to violence. All I get to hear about is people dying of old age. This implies that historical violence like wars and the like, are not really implemented yet. And such historical violence could be a neat way to vary names (like survivors changing their family names to harken the new era).

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>This makes introducing genetics into DF a bit scary ...... (^_^;;</STRONG>

No really.  Here, lets take a look at your mitocondrial DNA.  Hmm...ooh! Look at this, you share the same mDNA with 1/7th of the 6 billion other people on this planet!

That's right.  All humans are decended from one of 7 women (you get your mitocondrial DNA from your mother).

[Note: Wikipedia doesn't have this info, it's something else I heard, but Wikipedia is telling me that the Mitocondrial-Eve existed 140,000 years ago, MT-MRCA being the single common female ancestor to everyone.  Similarly there's Y-Chromosome Adam, the most recent Y-MRCA was 60,000 years ago.]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Or, 10% of central asians are descended from Ghengis Khan.