Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2010: The science of weapon-smithing?  (Read 1608 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2010: The science of weapon-smithing?
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:11:20 am »

So, anyone understand how weapon damage is calculated in the new version?

My guess is that different materials will be optimal for different types of weapons.  Adamantine may still be the best for piercing and maybe even slashing, but what about bludgeoning?  Since slade doesn't seem to be capable of being mined, or even if it is, won't be available till quite deep, what does one make war hammers out of?  Bronze? Iron? Something else?  (I'd try lead, but can't forge weapons out of that).

Anyone know how to compare various metals to each other for bludgeoning weapon damage?  Ie, how good is silver compared to iron now?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: DF2010: The science of weapon-smithing?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:56 am »

Lead, gold and platinum hammers pack a mighty wallop. Among the regular materials, steel is the best for hammers though. Adamantine warhammers deal pathetic damage, same as adamantine arrows.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

Lead, gold and platinum hammers pack a mighty wallop. Among the regular materials, steel is the best for hammers though. Adamantine warhammers deal pathetic damage, same as adamantine arrows.

If only you could have them make lead/gold/platinum weapons =(

Ok, so steel is the best - how do other metals compare?  Is it still Steel > Iron > Bronze > Copper > Silver, or has this been totally rearranged now?  Is Iron still twice as good as Silver?  etc...

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the trade-offs are, especially since I have piles of silver, a shortage of copper, and no iron yet.  If Silver isn't significantly worse than bronze (i have piles of tin), then it might be worth saving the copper (for bronze) for armor and using silver hammers.  And if silver is *better* than bronze....

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:53 am »

Ok, so steel is the best - how do other metals compare?  Is it still Steel > Iron > Bronze > Copper > Silver, or has this been totally rearranged now?  Is Iron still twice as good as Silver?  etc...

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the trade-offs are, especially since I have piles of silver, a shortage of copper, and no iron yet.  If Silver isn't significantly worse than bronze (i have piles of tin), then it might be worth saving the copper (for bronze) for armor and using silver hammers.  And if silver is *better* than bronze....
bolts and arrows are pathedic now. If you make steel arrow, you would be lucky to even mangle a naked elven child.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:45 pm »

bolts and arrows are pathedic now. If you make steel arrow, you would be lucky to even mangle a naked elven child.

Tell that to my adventurer who slaughtered an entire town only to have a bronze bolt pierce his throat, causing him to bleed to death...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:48:32 am »

arrows and bolts are crap vs iron mail.
in my tests only shots that hit toes,fingers,eyes or the neck.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:00:34 am »

Not if they're lead bolts. They can pierce through steel breastplates. If only we could make weighted bolts so that ranged combat isn't utterly useless.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:21:28 am »

Not if they're lead bolts. They can pierce through steel breastplates. If only we could make weighted bolts so that ranged combat isn't utterly useless.

I just tried in arena, lead bolts are just as crap.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 07:39:15 am »

I just tried in arena, lead bolts are just as crap.

really? They work for me.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."