Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scheduling and other triggers  (Read 369 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scheduling and other triggers
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

The river floods on schedule, doesn't it? So why not enable the farm plots to be built on schedule. And why stop at farm plots? After all, flood gates need to be opened and closed regularly, drawbridges go up and doors locked in anticipation of the flood, etc.

In other words, there are a lot of jobs that need to be done on a schedule, so why not let them?

The next logical step is to implement other triggers that can generate jobs automagically as well. Because it's the same thing every time a caravan arrives at the edge of the screen - every crate of finished goods goes out to the trade depot.

And what of all the tasks that need to be done in the event of siege? Drawbridges to open, doors to lock, floodgates to open... This could all be done with triggers.

This could relieve the player of a lot of tedium and take away a number of reasons to pause the game, which would be a good step towards making it easier to make the game multiplayer.

But multiplayer notwithstanding, scheduling and triggers would improve the game a lot.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduling and other triggers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

That would also take some of the management controls away from the player. What if, for just this one siege, you want to face the enemy head on instead of burning them to a fine black powder? Is there a way to turn it off, then?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto:
<STRONG>Is there a way to turn it off, then?</STRONG>

I'd hope so.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

I don't see where it takes control away from you, seeing as you would have full control over the scheduling. It would just take a bit of drudgery out of managing day-to-day operations. Overriding should definitely be an option, there is already the "suspend task" option in the game. That could definitely be used in a similar way here.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.