Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarfy baths  (Read 1198 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarfy baths
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:34 pm »

Has anyone tried making a bath house yet? Do dwarves use them? Just curious what people are doing with the new version

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: dwarfy baths
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:44:27 pm »

Has anyone tried making a bath house yet? Do dwarves use them? Just curious what people are doing with the new version

Okay, here's how you do this.

You have to make a big ol' pool. Fill it EXACTLY to 3/7 in all tiles. If it isn't, then you can't do anything. They just won't go in. Of course, they won't learn to swim either, so that kinda sucks.

Anyway. Then channel your magma UNDER the floor. You now have heated baths.

For showers, it's a bit more difficult. What -I- do is to make a grate in the floor and make Showers and lock them in for a while. They can't drown, BUT they CAN gain swimming skill this way. FOR THE WIN.

Alternatively. Custom workshop that gives them a happy thought (is that possible?) and improves swimming skill :P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:00:13 am »

Okay, here's how you do this.

You have to make a big ol' pool. Fill it EXACTLY to 3/7 in all tiles. If it isn't, then you can't do anything. They just won't go in. Of course, they won't learn to swim either, so that kinda sucks.

Anyway. Then channel your magma UNDER the floor. You now have heated baths.

For showers, it's a bit more difficult. What -I- do is to make a grate in the floor and make Showers and lock them in for a while. They can't drown, BUT they CAN gain swimming skill this way. FOR THE WIN.

Alternatively. Custom workshop that gives them a happy thought (is that possible?) and improves swimming skill :P

You forgot the final step: Stare in shock\awe\horror\glee as your dwarfs begin to melt from the water covering them!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:03:42 am »

They seem to prefer washing at the well. So make a well in a closable room. Now, this will eventually get nasty from all the mud, blood, grime and vomit that dwarves wash off themselves. So set some water ready to flush through the entire room periodically. Monitor closely who is and is not inside when you do this.

creases

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:05:06 am »

Hi all, this is my first post.

In 40d, I created a shower room. I found a brook on top of a very high plateau, running off the side as a waterfall. I had it fill a cistern that my dwarves could drink from in the dining hall, and the cistern drained into a ring-shaped trough that cascaded down through some grates into a room below. This room had grates on the floor as well, and underneath there was a pipeline that ran to the bottom of the plateau. I was going to turn this into a moat at the bottom, but I never finished the project; goblins attacked and the mayor's husband got killed, she throttled someone else's baby and threw it off a cliff, then Shit Got Real.

But the shower worked great. I had the walls engraved (before I activated it) and set it as a meeting place. The dwarfsies loved it, because it was basically an indoor waterfall. Of course, they'd walk in fully clothed with mules in tow, and walk out sopping wet to go about their business. But they were having a blast.