Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Military Doesn't Use Wooden "Training Weapon"?  (Read 3681 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
New Military Doesn't Use Wooden "Training Weapon"?
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »

I've tried to make them pick up wooden weapons for their training sessions, but they won't. I don't understand. If I choose to have them select it specifically in the equip menu, the dwarves just sit there and stare into space. What am I doing wrong?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Military Doesn't Use Wooden "Training Weapon"?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:03 pm »

Are the training weapons accessible? Is there an arsenal dwarf? Did you set the weapons for the current alert state? Sooo many questions... :P
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:24 pm »

I've tried to make them pick up wooden weapons for their training sessions, but they won't. I don't understand. If I choose to have them select it specifically in the equip menu, the dwarves just sit there and stare into space. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. The game is broken. Military matters are still completely fucked up. Don't even try to use them.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:31 pm »

Nothing. The game is broken. Military matters are still completely fucked up. Don't even try to use them.
Oh. Got it.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »

The military features do have some bugs, but if you know how to use them (and I only learned it from the wiki), it works most of the time. My guys use training weapons and rush wherever I order them - though they sometimes forget to bring their real weapons...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »

The military features do have some bugs, but if you know how to use them (and I only learned it from the wiki), it works most of the time. My guys use training weapons and rush wherever I order them - though they sometimes forget to bring their real weapons...

Except marksdwarves. I'm giving it one more go then forging a bunch of axes.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:01 pm »

I'm having trouble convincing my marksdwarf to pick up ammo, but the others are using their wooden training spears just fine, and replacing them with iron when assigned to kill something.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:46:23 pm »

Did you set the weapons for the current alert state? Sooo many questions... :P
And how do you do this?
I've added weapons to squad uniform, but they dont try to pick it up. Arsenal dwarf is avail.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 12:46:21 am »

I just added say, training axe to their uniform and deleted whatever weapon was on there. Then you probably have to go into their inventory and dump whatever weapon they are using because they don't like to drop them. After a while they will (probably, hopefully) pick up the training axes.

Supposedly they will automatically switch to training weapons to train, and switch back to real weapons to kill but I've never seen that actually work. They don't seem to use weapon racks/armor stands at all like they are supposed to.

Not that it matters, I guess. I've never managed to get anyone to spar - they just do individual combat drills till they are legendary (and beyond....!) so there is no reason not to start them with steel axes or whatever you want.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!