Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Infinite wrestling combat, legendary dwarf  (Read 2318 times)

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Infinite wrestling combat, legendary dwarf
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:20:42 pm »

Very first thing I do in the new version is make a dwarf attack a racoon.

They get locked in infinite wrestling combat (the racoon is unconscious and the dwarf just keeps trying to gouge the eyes, maybe in desperate attempt to reach the brain). They keep going on forever and at the end the racoon dies.

Result is that the dwarf is already legendary fighter and wrestler.

This probably needs some radical balance, both on the skill growth and to avoid infinite combat loops. A legendary wrestler surely knows how to kill an unconscious racoon...
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Infinite wrestling combat, legendary dwarf
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:06 pm »

I noticed the same thing in adventure mode; after a very short period of time wrestling you become a Legendary Wrestler/Fighter...while the Striking skill, for example, takes forever to go up. I beat up a poor sleeping Dwarf from mid-day until nightfall and he was not only still alive, but I hadn't gained a single skill level. (I'd gained some points, but the skill hadn't gone above novice)
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:49 pm »

From what I recall, even back in the 2D versions, you only got combat experience if you were striking a target capable of defending itself - attacking an unconscious opponent doesn't give you any experience unless you're Wrestling.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:46 pm »

My adventurer conscripted a jeweler and went off to fight a 181-kill bronze colossus. After the colossus one-shotted the jeweler, i was plinking away at it for forever with a halberd.
The brute charged, i dodged, and it went into the wall and i backstabbed it until it got up again. It must have missed me literally a hundred times, and i plinked it for about thrice as many.
I had managed to break all of its parts except two.
The he picked me up by a tooth and threw me into a tree and i blew up.

I was a legendary wrestler and fighter despite never wrestling by the end of it. I strongly feel that both fighting and wrestling needs some serious overhauls.
My brother fought a group of three legendary giants, and had his starting seven dwarves go legendary in fighting as well.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »

Is it still possible to throw enemies far away with a weapon ?

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:47:53 pm »

all of combat is broken in this version. i am seriously thinking of just waiting a month or two until the next few releases are out.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:43:33 am »

Join my club.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic