Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skill Gaining bugged? (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 3386 times)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
Skill Gaining bugged? (Possible Spoilers)
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

I was digging out the unfathomable deeps today when I encountered some sort of four legged tailed beast and a cave blob. It nearly killed a miner, but the miner escaped and I sent my two soldiers down to kill them. The first soldier, my commander, was a decent macedwarf, and the second a recruit macedwarf. The recruit got there first and plowed over the blob, killing it quickly, and chased the other beast through the various tunnels I had dug. Finally, the recruit cornered the beast and wrestled it for a few seconds. Then the beast was dead... and I had a grand master wrestler? Is this normal? Four frames wrestling = grand master?
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Gaining bugged? (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »

Wrestling more dangerous creatures increases stat gains (i think). It's not unheard of.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:08:01 pm »

Well, that's somewhat understandable, but isn't it still a stretch to shoot from dabbling wrestler to high master in under a second?
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »

Fairly common, from the looks of it - I've seen it mentioned in various other places. It'd be nice to see what the game defines as dangerous and what's not - it may lead to some interesting bugs if wrestling a hoary marmot gains you multiple legendary dwarves - but this is probably just an anomaly of the new version.

...Or a bug. I'm not sure.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:22:11 pm »

Yes, I've had this experience.  The very dangerous creature was the only one I noticed giving these wild skill increases.  It usually killed people too quick for them to fight back, though ;p  I'd say it's a bug, but these things should really be buried a little deeper.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

"Very dangerous" doesn't seem to require too much, I had my doctor become a proficient wrestler and fighter as well as a few other things from fighting off buzzards

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »

I've had an Adventurer wrestle with a Bronze Colossus for a few minutes and shoot from Dabbling to around Legendary+60. Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:31:20 pm »

I've had an Adventurer wrestle with a Bronze Colossus for a few minutes and shoot from Dabbling to around Legendary+60. Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right.

Oh I don't know... after a couple of minutes of wrestling with a Bronze Colossus your either really, really good at it or, ya know, dead.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:45 pm »

I don't know if it really was THAT dangerous. It was only a few levels into the Underdark (as I've taken to calling it) and didn't even attack my miners, just sort of glared at them at sent them running to the surface. It WAS a recruit that killed it after all, with no armor to speak of.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:08 pm »

You killed a Bronze Colossus witha Recruit?  :o

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »

Wrestling trains preposterously fast to begin with.  The new skill bonuses from fighting tougher foes just makes it more insane.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »

You killed a Bronze Colossus witha Recruit?  :o

Err.. no. It was a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »

A Rutherer? Really? Pretty sure my miners have been tearing them new ones ever since my staircase happened to hit a wall in the cavern.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:19:27 pm »

Which is why I'm wondering why the skill shot up so much on such a sad creature.