Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh what a mighty military I have  (Read 648 times)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh what a mighty military I have
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »

So, before finishing my impressive double layered curtain walls, or finishing my iron armor/weapons that I just put into production, a goblin ambush of 5 came and decided to smite me.  Me, with 15 dwarves in my military, wept knowing how close I was to finishing arming my soldiers, and finishing off the uber curtain wall that would have made me even more self sustaining.

Sending out my soldiers I start rooting them on.  Then cry.  Battles not over yet but so far my only kills will be from my second squad (of which there were only 5, but they seem far more competent) who decided to kamakazi, and when they attacked the gobos near small ponds they grabbed them and jumped into the water (totally intended, they didn't just 'dodge' in there.  Well...thats what it will say when I preside over their funeral if/when/maybe I get them out of the pond). 

The majority of my dwarves so far seem to scared to even get close to the gobos, but then again I don't blame them.  Still, they are my only defense, go sacrifice yourself you fools!

HAHAHAHA...boned...a second ambush came, and it came through the front door (which I hadn't raised yet hoping to salvage what I could of my cowardly ineffective military).

Yup...owned...  If only they trained properly...

Oh ya, I forgot my outer walls were connected to the outside, so even closing off my fort did nothing. 

Thought I would share in the first slaughtered fort I have had this version.  ^.^

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh what a mighty military I have
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »

Oh ya, and just so the bastard goblins had nothing but ruin when my people are dead, I flooded my fort.  They can have the walls, but my treasures remain mine!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

I can see it now... a goblin with a little human child tied to a rope, 'fishing' for dwarven loot from a balcony over your flooded treasure chambers.

"You better come up with something shiny or its the whip for you!"
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:54 pm »

Well if they use elven children then I def would consider the fort a success...

I mean, there were elven traders there when all went to hell, so I smiled a bit knowing I killed them along with the rest!

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:20:19 pm »

I was lucky enough to have a proper militia commander when the first goblin ambushes happened. With almost no armor at all *and wielding an iron pick as his weapon*, my commander slaughtered 5 goblins on first ambush, making survivors flee. As I already mentioned in the other thread I created :p

My point is, the difference between victory and defeat is a very small one. Later, when 2nd ambush happened, then with 2 goblin squads instead of 1, the militia commander racked up to 13 kills for himself. At the end, he was fighting a goblin at the edge of a waterfall and they both fell. The commander survived with only a broken foot.

I had total of 8 soldiers at both ambushes. The difference between victory and defeat is a small one, I tell ya :p
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:22:22 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."