Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My last pre-2010 megaproject.  (Read 1775 times)

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
My last pre-2010 megaproject.
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:52:03 am »

Well, if you count defense in megaproject.

Here's Racklull:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8354-racklull

I think the pictures speak for themselves:

http://magicguigz.imgur.com/racklull

You can't really see it in the pictures, but the main good point (apart from the 23 100+ tile-long subcorridors) is that enemies always come from the same side for the same floor, so it's easy to know where the best operators go (I got 10 legends and I think it's enough, but I'm making 2 more just in case).

What I learned from this:

- Constructing fortifications is way faster than smoothing + carving.  I still like the smoothing approach more though, for personal gratification (these building destroyers will never get me!).

- Planning ahead is good, especially for stairs.

- There is never enough trees for all masterful siege engines.  But you can import a lot so it's cool.

I'm using DrD_AVEL's Gold plated gorgeous tile set.

I haven't had time to test it thoroughly just yet, but I doubt anyone will get to my army at the end.  Also, my best legendary macedwarf is equipped with an artifact piece of (admittedly bone) armor and a steel artifact mace.  Between that and my 8 fully plated legendary army dwarves, I'm not too worried.

But it's mostly just for the warm fuzzy feeling of defense architecture, I probably won't have time to get sieged...

Still, I'm stockpiling on green glass blocks, I might do a submerged glass panic room while I wait for the first 2010 patch.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: My last pre-2010 megaproject.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

That's pretty cool.

I don't usually implement siege weapons in my defense (more trouble than worth IMO), but I like how you did it. It seems... Just dwarven.

Now do the same thing in DF2010 only accounting for enemies from above and below.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.