Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructed Up/Down Stairs, they do nothing?  (Read 1963 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constructed Up/Down Stairs, they do nothing?
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

Attempting to build a tower (well, a small tower then an overbridge leading to a pit of death and traps, but tower first).  I've been using ramps but it was space-consuming and ugly, so I wanted a proper staircase.

So, I constructed an up-down stair.  And, it does nothing.

Am I missing something?  There's no floor above it blocking, but it doesn't provide access to the upper floor.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed Up/Down Stairs, they do nothing?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:30:26 pm »

You need to build either an up/down or down staircase on the next level as well.

So..

_____X____
_____X____

Where the X's are your up down staircase.  Or the top one can be a down.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »

You have to build stairs on each floor in order for them to work
Up/Down stairs function in that they function as both an up and down stair for one floor, but they still need stairs on the floor above or below to function.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »

Build another set of Up/Down stairs ON TOP of your first set.

The first set of up (or up/down) stairs provides access to only the tile above it. That is enough for dwarvers to build another set of stairs, but nothing else.

Once the new stairs are built on the z level above, they dwarves have access to that z-level (they can get off the stairs). But if the stairs isn't beside a wall, your dwarves won't be able to travel anywhere.

I build my staircase in tower corner, so my dwarves can walk along the wall (it forms a "floor" for the z-level above it) and lay down new flooring. Once you have some flooring, you can start constructing walls on that z level if you want. Or whatever else you can come up with.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!