Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves, the ultimate badasses  (Read 1089 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Dwarves, the ultimate badasses
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:41:45 am »

I have a miner, her name is goldie, on account of her gold-colored eyes and frizzy golden hair... She's a legendary miner, and as will soon be discovered, legendary badass..

I got a bit careless with my strip mining the surface for usable materials, and subsequently, dear goldie got trapped in a small cave-in. She lay on the ground, with two broken legs, a broken right wrist, two broken ribs, and a pierced lung.

A young dwarf rushed out to haul her back to the hospital for diagnosis, but before he got there, she had simply gotten up, swapped her pick to her left hand, and continued mining. The young peasant was not discouraged by this and actually DRAGGED her back to the hospital, where Ol' Doc had a look at her.. yep.. compound overlapping fracture of the right arm was going to need setting and immobilization.. the legs were pretty bad too, and the broken rib would require surgery

But goldie would have none of it, she simply got up and left, leaving the doctor dumbfounded.

*Ol' Doc* cancels set bone: patient not resting

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves, the ultimate badasses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:34 am »

She must be given a golden room.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:40 pm »

I demand to know what the profile says about her willpower. I bet you she has an iron will.

And yes, I agree that she requires a golden room. With a golden statue of her in it.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »

If she has a kid, give the kid a silver room just because.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:09:57 pm »

Not to be a downer or anything, but aren't injuries rather nerfed right now?  I have seen creatures keep moving around and fighting with all yellow injuries...

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:43 pm »

Not to be a downer or anything, but aren't injuries rather nerfed right now?  I have seen creatures keep moving around and fighting with all yellow injuries...
Yeah, Dwarves tend not to interupt their work as much... which is either annoying, or awesome... since I've got my military being really silly >_> and getting unhappy about not keeping food and drink with them.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:21:50 pm »

Huh, my military was happy to lay around and die when enemies badly wounded them.

One dwarf just stopped fighting and fell to the ground when he had a mangled (red) arm. He stayed there and let the creature he was fighting slowly rip him apart, when one more hit would have killed the thing (it was damaged a lot worse than he was, half the body missing, the other half broken or mangled).

Maybe it was because they were still "average" dwarves. They hadn't become legendary anything yet.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »

I think the extreme propensity of dwarves to do this in th new version might be considered a bug...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:31:35 pm »

by default, the min training option is silly, and it's why most of the time, your dwarves will spar till they can't spar no more. lower it to as the wiki claims to 1/2 less then full squad. that should stop your mildwarves from standing around training all the time.

Once you figure it out, the new military thing is ingenious. and I am so tempted to add [CANNOT_UNDEAD] to all creatures now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:42:03 pm by Firehound »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)