Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Brooks appear to cause intense slowdown  (Read 896 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Brooks appear to cause intense slowdown
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:38:11 pm »

I have a map running at the moment, that every time i attempt to start the game moving shoots from virtually unlimited FPS, down to around 1-2.

I believe this to either be caused by the brook, or the fact that it has two biomes. I believe this because i was able to attain a steady 100 framerate on another map, which did not have a brook.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Brooks appear to cause intense slowdown
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:50:45 pm »

Hi!

This seems unlikely for the sole reason. I am in my second fortress, and I always embark near brooks - currently I have 140 FPS with 14 dwarves and 8 animals (plus uncountable unrotting remains).

But what biomes have you mixed there? I could imagine that radical border might influence this.

However, a more probable cause is some underground feature in my opinion - with the much enlarged underground portion of your maps with all the additional features, there is a good chance that there is something flowing down there on that particular map, like an underground river or some such.

Deathworks

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:06:23 pm »

I've got a brook and two biomes for my fortress plot, and I'm hitting the 100 FPS cap, so there must be something fishy going on in your fort. Maybe some underground, undiscovered critters are pathfinding something fierce? Or what Deathworks said.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »

Quite possibly, the biomes that are touching appear to be some form of forested biome and a mountainous area.

Also: It's almost certain there is some form of river buggering around underground, as the mapfinder said that there was a river, and as i cannot currently see it, there must be something happening in the catacombs.

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »

It's not just brooks. I embarked on several separate maps - with brooks and without. I never got an fps above 20. in 40d, I normally get about 200 starting fps on this computer. it's frustrating.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:48 pm »

I'm almost certain it's due to the underground river flowing into the cave system.

The long edge probably has a large opening in it.

Helix Marine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »

I had this happen too around, when I got 20-30 dwarves the game slows down and freezes for  like 5 seconds then runs at full FPS for 3 seconds and loops this pattern. I also breached into like 2-3 underground caverns recently and found HFS and loads of stuff down there that I sealed off due to the animals and no military.

But I had lost my fort when I was messing around i the same save to test the new features awhile after the spot I'm lagging at now with no lag.