Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capital Funishment! For great Justice!  (Read 1009 times)

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
Capital Funishment! For great Justice!
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:42:01 am »

My first fort under the new version. Origionally, this was emailed to a few friends of mine who I'm trying to rope into playing. Attempted to edit it so as to remove the references to them, but well, it's written for that audience, so apologies if it seems odd to you guys, or explains things needlessly.

------------------------------------------------------------

So... My dwarves are doing their thing. Digging away wildly, building things, and generally getting set up. Just in case, I recruit 3 dwarves into my military to figure out the new military stuff.

Then, to my delight, I find an amazing and extensive cave network beneath my fort. You've seen Lord of the Rings, yes? Moria? Wow, amazing underwater pools, caverns with growing mushrooms and small cave spiders that produce VERY valuable spider silk (the small spiders are harmless.)

Next thing I know, my dwarves keep doing, and find TWO FREAKING TROLLS. One proceeds to take about 20 minutes slowly torturing one of my miners to death. He kept strangling him, getting bored, and stopping... The miner would get up, only to get strangled again. These were two female trolls, by the by. Ugly bitches, fat, huge, with black skin, wrinkly. One had golden eyes and a very clear voice, apparently. O_o

She, the clear voiced one, RUNS up the stairs into my main fort and begins to harrass.... everything. Dogs attack her, but she shrugs them off. My new and inexperienced military attacks her, and proceeds to fight her for an hour. Meanwhile, she's charging into and throwing dwarves everywhere... AND REGENERATING. She's forming scars and shit, got bruised lungs, and is torn to hell and back, but my dwarves couldn't kill her.

Just then, a GIANT CAVE SPIDER comes out of hiding, and proceeds to begin raping the tons of dwarves that, for some reason, decided to run down into the deep and claim all the items off of the miner that finally died. The ltitle fuckers decided they'd better go get that shit, because, apparently, they didn't want the trolls to get it. So they're getting stuck in a Giant Cave Spider's webs and eaten.

At this point, I decided to move on to a new fort... but this will certainly make an interesting entry in my world's history... O.o

Maybe I'll go in there in adventure more and try to kill the (now) named dwarf-killing Troll and GSC.

<wince> So.. New version, new ways to die. Oh my gods, I didn't expect that. Oh, and Trolls can destroy doors when they go through them... So there was no stopping these wenches. Ow.

-------------------

By the end, the troll in my main fortress had her tusks and horns broken, but she'd ripped the crap out of most of my dwarves when I finally decided to abandon. All in all, a WONDERFUL first experience. Note to self: Get weapons sooner. Wrestling Trolls with 5 inexperienced dwarves? Not gonna happen... but lots of neat wounds all over. Seeing scars form on the Troll DURING battle was pure badass, too.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:18:10 am by rdwulfe »
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Fun!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:09:43 am »

This thread should be retitled capital funishment. For great justice!
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Funishment! For great Justice!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19:15 am »

Aaand done. I like it. Imma keep it. :D

Anyone else had enjoyable starts like this, were you dig down to the new HFS, only to have it... well, come up and have Fun with you? (Try not to give too many spoilers. I don't think Trolls are too surprising or spoilerish, though)
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:09:09 am »

I'm currently on my second fort. I decided to embark with an extra copper axe and breastplate, just in case, and gave them to my first immigrant. She managed to kill a troll easily enough (not before it maimed a miner though, but he's doing well in hospital), but now a GCS is ravaging the place. I have a feeling no one will live.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:21:29 am »

Yeah, I decided to pop open the underground (knew where it was roughly, found some webs on stock screen).
Was a bad, bad idea for the survival of my fort.
Explored a good part of it unmolested but then a GCS decided to go after and kill a legendary miner (may have even been one of the founding seven). My military sent to take care of the GCS got intercepted by a Giant Olm and I lost a dwarf to it (and one dwarf lost her hand).
GCS took out like four dwarves before dying.

Tantrum spiral follows. Dwarves going insane left and right, cave alligator decides to eat another military dwarf of the squads sent to kill it.

Now it's pretty much a fight to keep this fort surviving.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:29:09 am »

Yes. Things that can smash doors are fun. I had a similar experience with you, except it involved some Fun Stuff, and instead of the door being smashed apart, it was lockpicked.

Filthy Gremlins. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were working with the Hidden Fun Stuff all along!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)