Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bring Back easy-to-reference stats  (Read 940 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bring Back easy-to-reference stats
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:14:16 am »

I know there's a lot more stats, but with no easy way to reference their stats its a lot less satisfying to nurture individual dwarves to greatness.  It would be nice if there was a status screen that just gave all their stat modifiers, rather than trying to parse the individual descriptions and figure out how good they are.  Ie, a screen where you can tell at a glance how awesome a dwarf is statistically, like the old levels of toughness, strength, and agility were.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Back easy-to-reference stats
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »

I'm strongly against using numbers to describe them, but with symbols instead it's a good suggestion.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:06 pm »

I'm strongly against using numbers to describe them, but with symbols instead it's a good suggestion.

Sorry, i didn't necessarily mean a numerical rating.  I just want a screen I can glance at without leaving the 'v' interface and quickly look at how awesome my dwarves are.

Possibly a color coding that lets you quickly assess how awesome each particular stat is would also be nice.  (Dark red -> light red -> lt green -> dark green as you go from worst to bad to good to best).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:39 pm »

Possibly a color coding that lets you quickly assess how awesome each particular stat is would also be nice.  (Dark red -> light red -> lt green -> dark green as you go from worst to bad to good to best).

If you check out Adv. Mode, the screen for viewing your own attributes (z -> s) already uses this display format.  And yeah, it would be nice to have it on the dwarves' v-menu as well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:18 pm »

"Don't use numbers, but colors and symbols are okay" is a little weird to me. I mean, effectively they're the exact same thing, but displayed differently.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »

It's just a flavor thing.  Like how the game says "your skin is torn apart" rather than "your skin receives a wound 10 cm long and 1 cm wide."

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:54:49 pm »

I'd prefer numbers personally. Ideally there could be a toggle for both parties, like how Dwarf Therapist handles it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »

I like the idea of DF moving away from numbers (and linear scales in general) and more towards descriptive statistics. It just... seems to fit the game better, especially since numbers don't provide much of a frame of reference.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

The problem with numbers is that Dwarf Fortress is trying to be as realistic as possible and for the most part you don't measure people's abilities with certain numbers.

There is some exceptions but they also give complications.

-You judge how strong someone can lift by how much they ever lifted.
-You judge how fast someone by how fast they can keep up a run or sprint

These are things you demonstrate.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 02:27:18 am »

I like the idea of DF moving away from numbers (and linear scales in general) and more towards descriptive statistics. It just... seems to fit the game better, especially since numbers don't provide much of a frame of reference.

The current stats are just as linear as ever - describing them with strings doesn't really change that.  I don't even really mind the descriptions of them.  What I do mind is that they're buried on the description page with a lot of other text, and not accessible in a way that allows me to quickly switch between dwarves while looking at what those dwarves are doing.