Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tomb raiding for fun and profit.  (Read 1616 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tomb raiding for fun and profit.
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »

Any tips or resources for visiting old forts in adventure mode? 

Specifically, how do you find the awesome stuff in all the crap?  How do you best optimize fps?  Etc.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb raiding for fun and profit.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »

Not sure about actually finding stuff, but to keep things from scattering too far you can put stuff in bins made of heavy stuff like lead.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »

Valuable stuff is left in subterainean areas, which used to narrow things down quite a bit, but now its spread all over the underground.

I also recall 40d making it so that unaccesable fortress areas had no items in them. Not sure if it still does that.

So yes, the only sure-fire way is to put it in heavy bins. You can use a heavy metal, or stuff a bunch of heavy things in the bins.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:39:41 pm »

If the fort died instead of being abandoned, the fort might still have some of whatever killed it still in it. If it fell to demons, demons will still be in the fort. The same applies to siegers, invaders, and the like. Also, if there was a forgotten beast somewhere in the underground before you left the fort and you didn't seal off the caverns, be expecting one of those too. I'd recommend abandoning the fort to minimize chaos and, like everyone else said, heavy bins for your stuff. I think lead and gold work best. Other than that, you should be able to find your stuff pretty easily. The fort's completely dark, though, so try to have a rough memory of where the good stuff is before you abandon.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

Or get yourself some maps by using Export Local Image.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."