Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Satisfied Mac User Thread  (Read 1581 times)

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
The Satisfied Mac User Thread
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

Through trial and error (and the assistance of my much nerdier father) I have figured out how to get df working just right on a mac. It's a complicated and annoying process, so I'm posting this in the hope of helping other people. First off, install macports. It's a program that makes installing wine (the windows program runner) much easier. Second off, get your installation CD and grab off of it all of the XCode and X11 files from the optional installs folder. There are files on the disc you need that you can't get from the website. Installing wine itself is a long process that I don't understand fully, but the method I used is here. Once you've done that, start up X11. Here's the annoying part- DF will run, but it won't accept your graphics settings from init.txt. So, open up Terminal, and enter "wine winecfg". Under the Graphics tab, select "emulate virtual desktop", and enter your preferred screen size in pixels. Then, go to init.txt and type in your graphics settings. THE SIZE SETTINGS MUST BE IN THE FULLSCREEN SIZE PREFERENCES. WINDOWED SIZE SETTINGS WILL NOT WORK. Make sure that if you're using your windowed settings from before to change the font back to curses_640x300.bmp.

Finally, open up Terminal again after saving everything. Either use "wine /PATH TO FILE/dwarfort.exe" or cd to the df_31_01 folder and enter "wine dwarfort.exe".

Enjoy your new, good-sized graphics!
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Sean_W

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Satisfied Mac User Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:42 pm »

Through trial and error (and the assistance of my much nerdier father) I have figured out how to get df working just right on a mac. It's a complicated and annoying process, so I'm posting this in the hope of helping other people. First off, install macports. It's a program that makes installing wine (the windows program runner) much easier. Second off, get your installation CD and grab off of it all of the XCode and X11 files from the optional installs folder. There are files on the disc you need that you can't get from the website. Installing wine itself is a long process that I don't understand fully, but the method I used is here. Once you've done that, start up X11. Here's the annoying part- DF will run, but it won't accept your graphics settings from init.txt. So, open up Terminal, and enter "wine winecfg". Under the Graphics tab, select "emulate virtual desktop", and enter your preferred screen size in pixels. Then, go to init.txt and type in your graphics settings. THE SIZE SETTINGS MUST BE IN THE FULLSCREEN SIZE PREFERENCES. WINDOWED SIZE SETTINGS WILL NOT WORK. Make sure that if you're using your windowed settings from before to change the font back to curses_640x300.bmp.

Finally, open up Terminal again after saving everything. Either use "wine /PATH TO FILE/dwarfort.exe" or cd to the df_31_01 folder and enter "wine dwarfort.exe".

Enjoy your new, good-sized graphics!

Wow... thats... an interesting way to do it. I dont remember having a problem instaling wine but it was a while ago. I think I used something called wine bottler. Dont forget to use the accelorator. I'm getting 100 fps constant with 25 dwarfs. Haven't hit any HFS yet though. And believe me i've looked. I can also just double click the exe to start.