Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In memoriam of a really sturdy dwarf  (Read 830 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In memoriam of a really sturdy dwarf
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:45:44 am »

I have to admit that I have never seen an example of a more sturdy dwarf since I started playing DF 2010.

It was winter in my rather young (1.5 year old) fortress, the outside fortifications weren´t totally complete yet and my dwarven militia was a rather band of some miners and other civilians, with only few weapons (mostly only the picks of the miners) which would only get assembled on emergencies (which till this date only consisted of dark gnomes and other vermin, trying to get to my food and booze supplies), when suddenly out of nothing a goblin ambush team of 8 goblins appeared.

Well, I hastily made burrows of the inside parts of the fortress (the entrances to which were guarded by cagetraps) and all dwarves quickly responded, well, with the expection of Stodir.
For some strange reasons she still wandered around outside and got quickly spotted by the goblin ambushers and peppered with arrows.

I expected her to die fast, after maybe 1-2 volleys (especially as she wore no armor, just normal clothes), but to my surprise the goblins fired volley after volley at her, emptying their quivers and finally they approached her to beat her with their bows (which was the time at which my militia arrived).

Well, unfortunately after a long time of getting beaten by the goblins (while my dwarven militia desperately tried to ki9ll the goblins one after the other) she finally died.

But one thing is sure, her sacrifice saved the whole fortress. Without their arrows the goblins were fair pickings for my dwarven militia and they were finally driven away, with 5 goblins dead and 3 being able to flee.

This is just one page of 4 of the wounds that she had, shortly before she died:

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: In memoriam of a really sturdy dwarf
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:11 am »

Yep. Arrows aren't that powerful in this version.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In memoriam of a really sturdy dwarf
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:07:27 am »

Arrows aren't what they used to be. For some reason a reduced size of the attacking part causes reduced damage in the attack, thus arrows are rather ineffective. The whole weapon system needs sorting out.

Community Balance Overhaul.