Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tired, thirsty, dying, and working hard (v0.31.01)  (Read 650 times)

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tired, thirsty, dying, and working hard (v0.31.01)
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:20 pm »

I'm not sure if this should be counted a bug or not, but seeing as the game works fine and the behavior isn't actually causing any trouble, I don't think it's nearly severe enough to hit the bug report forum.

I was watching my carpenter as he made my first set of beds for my first dormitory, everything going fine except that he was thirsty. Oh! This is fine though, Dwarves are supposed to finish their work before leaving for refreshments now, and that's awesome!

... So Urist McWorkstoohard finishes the bed, takes 3 steps to his wood stockpile, grabs another log, and starts on another bed.

Several beds later, I checked his injury screen and he was Drowsy, Thirsty, and Hungry, but even then he decided "Making one more bed couldn't hurt"

Okay so it didn't hurt, he eventually left to eat and sleep, but now I kinda feel like a dirtbag just for giving him a job. I like how it doesn't interrupt their task at hand anymore, but a line should be drawn somewhere, preferably once the red/blue/gray/whatever colored arrows start flashing over them and they're between jobs.

[edit] Actually, sense the colored status arrows are when they actually get the unhappy thoughts, perhaps the line should be before that happens. In previous forts, I would take those unhappy thoughts as signs that I should move the food closer, but I can't do that here.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:55:54 pm by yuriatayde »

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tired, thirsty, dying, and working hard (v0.31.01)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:26 am »

I wouldn't mind so much, but I recently realised that being thirsty/tired/hungry makes them work slower... a LOT slower. When they get thirsty, they should finish their current job and immediately go and solve the problem. My dwarves work most of the way to dehydrated before they stop work.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:30:09 am »

That would explain why it's taking forever to dig out my fort. I was starting to wonder if he'd fooled with the mining speed values...but this makes much more sense.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:01:46 am »

That seems something that belongs in the standing
  • rders menu. That could stand to be expanded into a "Laws of the Fortress" screen, together with all general prescriptions on stuff that dwarves are supposed to do or not to do.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.