Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Holy Paradigm Shift  (Read 4190 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Paradigm Shift
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »

I'm thinking of flooding part of my cavern with lava, so I can kill the beasties and allow myself to have industry down there. I'm hesitant to think about all the Fun Tapping a Volcano will be.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »

Also, found my magma a whopping 130 z-levels down.  I'm not entirely sure how to harness this, with a massive cavern network between the magma and my fortress (which rests at z-levels 4 through 14 or so).

There has to be plans for a camel powered dumbwaiter system on these forums somewhere.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:08 pm »

Since magma is rather deep buried and it takes quite some time to get down to it and thus smithing is rather tedious (and let`s don`t forget dangerous if there`s some sort of connection to the caves..) I decided that a separate, self sufficient "forward base" might do the trick. Thanks to the new burrows this might actually work, but i have yet to try those.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »

For those of you only finding magma 130 z-levels down, have you thoroughly explored all of the levels prior? I found my first magma sea around 40 levels down, where my first (of three) layers would be ending. Based on the notion that the parameter for underground layers (from 0 to 3) adds about 50 z-levels per layer; the hypothesis that even a 1-layer underground will contain all features; one might surmise that the [default] 3-layer Underworld will contain three magma features, one for each layer, as well as the ultimate magma level (if toggled on in parameters).

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »

Magma can still be pumped, right?

Get to work!
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:20 pm »

I dug and found my first cavern at 15-z down. I pissed myself when I saw two GCS running around, good thing my staircases are floating in mid air and I only tapped the roof!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:41 pm »

Holy Paradigm Shift Batman!
So true. So true.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:15 pm »

I was chuckling to myself how this new release is like the old 2D mode playstyle challenges inverted on the vertical plane into 3D mode.
This struck me only last night.
It really IS the 2D order of features, except turned into 3D... With the exception being that the cave river and chasm are often combined.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:52 pm »

UPDATE:

For me, DF had become about masonry, and now it's about mining.

Really?

My 2010 fortress is just a ramp spiralling (way) down to an expansive cavern, which I'm treating as my surface level. 

Wow!

It provides me with wood, plants, water, and freakass abominations animals.  Traders, migrants, and seige armies alike will have to go that extra mile (literally) to make a carpet of corpses glimpse the glittering beauty of our halls.

That's an interesting strategy!

I think none of us will ever see the sun again.

That's true!  We're all dead! 

Friends: this is not how you bring home the Big Win.  Stick close to the surface.  Please do not ramp directly down to the Mysterious Underdark on my account and start making yourself comfortable.  It's ... different.     

At least until someone can explain the new military commands.   
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 11:25:53 pm »

....I think every fort I make from now on will be attempting to recreate Moria/Khazad-dum.... with the very real danger of literally unearthing evil from the deep when chasing all the shiny metal. And the free energy of the magma.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:23 am »

Nowhere in mythology has it been stated that of all that glitters nothing entices a Dwarf to dig more deeply than the hot allure of dull red magma.

And yet, as someone else observed about the idea that Dwarves would use the bottomless pits of hell as a garbage dump, it seems so right ...

Puttering around the surface scratching out a living on prickle berries, longland beer, and rope reed textiles with maybe a little casual metallurgy on the side while the wood lasts doesn't just seem incomplete but wrong, like our sad lives are being wasted on activities not fit for our kind.

What an amazing game.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:56 am »

Counted Z-levels.
Counted mineral veins I found.
Opened my first cavern.

So that is what Professor meant...
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]