Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How my first 2010 fortress was defeated [maybe spoilers]  (Read 779 times)

Antialias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How my first 2010 fortress was defeated [maybe spoilers]
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

I tend to build my fortresses around large central shafts, and this time was no different. I breached an underground lake pretty soon, while delving for a granite layer to house my fallen. The shaft emerged in the roof of the cavern, with nothing underneath for many tiles but 7/7 water, so I shrugged and carried on digging a cistern. My military was strong, my stores were overflowing, and I needed to concentrate on providing for my dwarves. I assumed I could deal with anything that might fly up the shaft.

I was wrong. A year later this ...thing... turned up:

Quula flew straight up the central shaft and ploughed through my dining hall, killing over twenty dwarves. My military arrived shortly afterwards, but their weapons had no effect. After all, he was made of salt. They all fell at his hands. I was about to abandon until I realised that salt -normal salt at least- is vulnerable to water. I formed a suicide squad out of the remaining dwarves and forced the invader into my farm cavern, then locked them in and opened the floodgate. My brave wrestlers were taken apart one by one by Quula as my last few remaining civilians walled them in, and their blood mixed with the slowly pooling water.

Eventually the cavern was fully sumberged. Quula stands unmoving in the center, having neither dissolved nor drowned. The twisted and broken survivors of the battle lie in the miasma-filled hospital cave, their wounds slowly festering, while my surgeon hunts vermin for food. Forty-seven dwarves in total have died by the beast's fists.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How my first 2010 fortress was defeated [maybe spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:25:37 pm »

And it DIDENT desolve in the water?
Dear god...How the does that thing even EXIST...I mean..that..I...

So...Are you going to reclaim and Mass everything you can against this beast? You know...for Science. Trying to Kill the Unkillable seems to qualify in my mind as SCIENCE..

Antialias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »

So...Are you going to reclaim and Mass everything you can against this beast? You know...for Science. Trying to Kill the Unkillable seems to qualify in my mind as SCIENCE..

I think this is a poetic note to end a fortress on, so I'm not going to revisit it. Next fortress I'm going to rebalance the karma by exacting some epic vengeance on the denizens of the underground. They had BETTER all be immune to drowning because I'll divert the flow of an entire river in there if I have to. A much more dwarvenly revenge.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »

I think this is a poetic note to end a fortress on, so I'm not going to revisit it. Next fortress I'm going to rebalance the karma by exacting some epic vengeance on the denizens of the underground. They had BETTER all be immune to drowning because I'll divert the flow of an entire river in there if I have to. A much more dwarvenly revenge.

Fool.

That isn't dwarvenly enough for this.

FLOOD IT WITH MAGMA!

the number of things that don't burn is lower than the number of things that don't breath.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »

MAJOR SPOILER!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Antialias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »

FLOOD IT WITH MAGMA!

-Flood the underground with water, killing subterranean monsters

-Dig a little deeper, flood the magma with the same water. Kill magma monsters.

-Dig out entire crust of map, wait for winter. Everything still living is encased in ice.

Efficiency is SCIENCE.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »

MAJOR SPOILER!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

or...my favorite...SEAS!
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.