Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interrupted by deer - two floors into fortress  (Read 901 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Interrupted by deer - two floors into fortress
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:07:46 am »

So out of nowhere I get the following message:

Kivish Idromlitast, Metalsmith cancels Construct Rock Door: Interrupted by deer.

I zoom to the event, and realize he's inside, two floors below the entrance. What the hell, I think, how far away is that deer, anyway? Only a couple tiles, it turns out. Inside the workshop room with my dwarves. Along with a second one.

This never happened in the previous version. Has it happened to anyone else?

Okay, now the deer just attacked my cheese maker, injuring him badly. Time to mobilize my woodcutters.

"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Interrupted by deer - two floors into fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:11:11 am »

Had a bear wander in past a door, which had never happened before, but he wasn't hostile. Just thirsty.

He did wander out promptly afterward, and caused no violence-related issues, so I don't know exactly what's happening with your invasive deer.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:15:18 am »

Yeah, I had some deer that got inside. They were almost as bad as these other things, can't remember what they were called, started with a 'D', grazing animals that crawled up from the deep. They were fast and tough. Not fighters, but would kick back if they got cornered, and killed a couple dogs and a dwarf. Bled all over everything, and kept trying to come back in once I herded them outside. Only managed to kill 2 of the 5. And all this after I had an unconscious giant toad hold up production for 10 minutes while I tried to figure out how to tell my military to kill it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:46 am »

Hi!

That is not something new. I already had giant Eagles roam through my fortresses in 3D. Deers never got in, though, because I usually trap my entrance fiercely turning any invasion attempts in work for the butcher. Since traps have been toned down now, I have to recalculate my traps - I already had a deer in my fortress once.

And a warning - animal corpses (like deer) will cause miasma as they turn to skeletons underground. So, if you kill it inside your fortress, make sure to get it out of the inside as soon as possible.

Deathworks

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 03:37:11 am »

It may not be a totally new phenomenon, but it seems it might be more common than before now. I've got a serious camel infestation in my fort. Granted, I've got a lot of extra rooms for them to hide in since I dropped from a population of 70 down to 25 after a scuffle with some goblins, but still - those dratted things just keep getting in. And they seem unnaturally tough and agile - I've had squads chasing camels around like maniacs for months on end and never managing to corner them long enough to land any real blows. I've had to micromanage door-locking to trap the camels in small rooms with enough soldiers to take them down.

Oh, and one of the camels got smeared with some absolutely vile stuff that a Forgotten Beast spewed all over my wellshaft area a while back, so now all the dwarves that were involved in taking it down are in the hospital with rotting skin. I have no idea why the camel seemed to be fine with it.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:34 am »

Heh, this reminds me of the old 3D version with cliffs...  At one point, I had herds of elephants migrating through my fortress since it was the only way possible to walk across the map from the Savannah to the south of the mountain range to the green pastures and brook on the north side... ::)

Oddly enough, they pretty much ignored the dwarves all around... (this was the main throughfare of the entire fortress, in addition to being an elephant migration path...)

That fortress had some other strange bugs, such as the time when I loaded it and two extra Z levels mysteriously appeared at the bottom of the map.  This apparently broke the bottomless pit so that the waterfall I had going into it no longer drained off the bottom of the map, resulting in an amusing scramble to wall off the lower mines before they flooded.  This was also the only fortress where I actually hit HFS, though I managed to wall it off before anything nasty came out, and after that, carefully mined out the adamantine I could get without rebreaching the pits.

It also had a very short underground river as well as a lava pipe and flux, at directly opposite ends of the map.  This resulted in mud spreading everywhere and towercaps in the bedrooms...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:50:05 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:03 am »

You'd think doors would keep wild animals out, even when unlocked.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore